Shrimp Color AfterMolt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kc2ped

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Red Cherry Shrimp just hatched their eggs then immediately molted
As I remember it they were a reddish brown before the molt
Now one is maroon and the other is almost firetruck red
Do they change color with each molt and does the color progress in a given direction or do they come out a random color
They have both been eating the same food since I got them a few weeks ago so that doesn't seem to be where the variation is coming from

Sounds weird. I have had cherry shrimp for a long time, but that has never happened. I have seen them be different shades of red after a molt, but that is because their exoskeleton has t harden up. Are the water parameters normal? Is the KH or GH in the normal range?

smarsh7903 said:
Sounds weird. I have had cherry shrimp for a long time, but that has never happened. I have seen them be different shades of red after a molt, but that is because their exoskeleton has t harden up. Are the water parameters normal? Is the KH or GH in the normal range?

All parameters are normal except KH and GH which were 1° and 3° respectively when I changed the water over the weekend
That is normal for my tanks and I haven't tried to fiddle with it yet
But even if that is the cause it wouldn't explain why the shrimp changed color in different directions
The one that is bright red is the one that molted first

Thats true. Maybe its just one of those things. Maybe your shrimp have a gene that is starting to be expressed, or maybe they are just temporarily that color because they are stressed or happy or whatever shrimp may feel after hatching eggs and molting? If they change back, let me know. I'm interested in this. I really like cherry shrimp and I am always buying them, if yours permanently changed, I want to look into it more.

smarsh7903 said:
Thats true. Maybe its just one of those things. Maybe your shrimp have a gene that is starting to be expressed, or maybe they are just temporarily that color because they are stressed or happy or whatever shrimp may feel after hatching eggs and molting? If they change back, let me know. I'm interested in this. I really like cherry shrimp and I am always buying them, if yours permanently changed, I want to look into it more.

Do your cherry shrimp have emotions
I recently finished reading Do Fish Feel Pain, which in humans has an emotional component, and the answer was yes
I don't remember enough biology to remember how much of a nervous system shrimp have to assess their capability to feel pain
But lobsters are aware of and respond to hot water

My fire truck red shrimp has darkened down a bit
And the one that was dark has faded to mostly clear
This is the last time I will be able to report on them as I got four more shrimp yesterday and now I can't tell who is who

Back
Top Bottom