Shrimp ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Picked up 10 of these today and bought them as ghost shrimp. Are they ghost shrimp? I did hear someone else in the shop mention they were amano?

Attachments

• image-3238497225.jpg
    image-3238497225.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 123
  • image-1721466504.jpg
    image-1721466504.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 129
  • image-3558572932.jpg
    image-3558572932.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 133
Hmm.. I think they are ghost shrimp, and they only look brown because of the picture. Better pictures would help us be sure

They are clear mostly, some of them have a line of dark spots running down their side though, which makes me wonder.

My ghost shrimp tend to turn brownish in my tanks with darker substrate. I would imagine their food could affect their color as well.

+1 for ghosts. I've seen slight colour variations in them.

The one kind of looks blue, but not enough colour, makes me think it's just the picture.

They look like amano shrimp, they are sometimes called yamato too.

They have a different body shape than ghosties. I think they are red cherries. Dull red Cherries.

GodFan said:
They have a different body shape than ghosties. I think they are red cherries. Dull red Cherries.

I really don't think they are red cherries. At least they don't look like mine. Even my juveniles have red lines down their outer body before their colour comes in.

No, they don't look like wild type neocaridina heteropoda either, they look like Amano shrimp. The eyeball placement kinda helps in the ID besides the coloration and pattern. :flowers:
Sorry but I still think the wild types :) they dont look like amanos Ive seen. But we will not always agree :)

I'm with jetajockey on this. I have an amano and it looks EXACTLY like the one in the pictures. It is definitely an amano.

Edit: here are some pictures of them:
img_1758430_0_8188ecaa4ced741eae4e281ed8796945.jpg

img_1758430_1_c40ae5c9c3dc89832c9921d271dcbe4d.jpg

Well amanos or wild cherry shrimp he probably got a gteat deal lol

Look like ghosts to I used to keep a few in my tanks as a clean up crew and occasional snack.

Back
Top Bottom