Shrimp only tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jobin13

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 6 gal tank that was housing some Emerald dwarf rasboras, but I moved them into my 40 g breeder community aquarium... now my 6 gal has no inhabitants. :(

I'm currently treating with a few drops of ammonia to keep bacteria up. but I was wondering...

Is it possible to have a shrimp only tank? or do they need fish waste to survive? I've tried keeping shrimp but I added them too prematurely to a cycling tank and they passed away do to large pH swings on an uncontrolled cycle.

If so, how many would be a good number for a 6 gallon?

Yes, you can make the 6g a shrimp tank. They don't need fish waste. Far from it, actually. They appreciate decent, stable water conditions.
I was using a 6.6g as a QT (yes, a bit on the small side) and added a dozen yellow neocardina shrimp. The population has probably tripled in the last few months.

Yes, you can make the 6g a shrimp tank. They don't need fish waste. Far from it, actually. They appreciate decent, stable water conditions.
I was using a 6.6g as a QT (yes, a bit on the small side) and added a dozen yellow neocardina shrimp. The population has probably tripled in the last few months.

Do you feel them algae wafers? or just leave the light on extra long?

Do you feel them algae wafers? or just leave the light on extra long?

Various algae wafers and sticks as well as blanched zucchini. Outside of feeding on these, the shrimp are constantly grazing on biofilm.
If you really want to get into it, check out some of the foods from Han Aquatics. I'm thinking about getting the LOWKEYS Food Sample Pack.

Back
Top Bottom