Shrimp Quest "Please Help" by AutumnSky (Long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sake said:
Why not get a tub full of rocks, toss a bit of old tank water in there, let it sit on a window sill to get plenty of light, and grow a bit of algae for them that way? Toss one rock in, wait a few days take it out replace it in the tub, and toss a new rock in. Ya'll think that would work?

Ive read that works, but I'm not so sure about how diligent I'd be lol.

Yeah I have a few 5 gallon buckets full of tank water out in the back yard growing plants and I get algae all over the rocks and sides of the bucket.

Sake said:
Yeah I have a few 5 gallon buckets full of tank water out in the back yard growing plants and I get algae all over the rocks and sides of the bucket.

A tank could be nerite heaven with algae like that

Lol yeah that's one of the things I've been using it for, snails. Not Nerite snails, but MTS, rams, pond want a population explosion so my assassin snails can eat them and multiply. Anyhow better get back on topic before I get yelled at! lol

Sake said:

This is for things relating to shrimp

Algae growing in buckets with plants in a yard relates to shrimp, I think it is on topic.

I have a pond so I don't have a problem growing algae, but wouldn't want strange stuff in with my shrimp.

As for the kitchen/dorm window algae method You could do an artistic dish with cool shaped rocks, kinda algae zen water garden for shrimp treats. I love the idea.

LyndaB= I meant to leave the Ghost Shrimp in the tank until I decide which shrimp to put into them and remove them before the new ones go in.

Nerites are VERY versatile. I know they could adapt to it. There are certain variations that thrive in it, I'm sure though.

Trip to lfs (1 hour away)

Not so local.

I have an errand to run near that area so I will be going to the lfs and look at the shrimp. I think he had over 10 varieties.

So the thought is maybe Cherries? or I like the orange... I will for sure at least see all of them in little habitats, I hope there will be lots of them!!!

I don't know how long of a trip it will be and that might limit my further excursion the Boulder fish store that is newer, I haven't been to yet.

Calling them tomorrow to see what they have.

Water is still good in my Edge so I will take out the fry to the 32 gal and hope they can hide good. I put my rocks in and there are lots of hiding places!!!.

Any last thoughts...? I will read in the morning before I go.

Coursair said:
Icy Ponds ??? No. Tropical Snail.

Don't you think there are varieties in cold ponds? I know some people have found them in cold rivers in Japan.

MABJ said:
Don't you think there are varieties in cold ponds? I know some people have found them in cold rivers in Japan.

Perhaps. I'm still learning. The commonly available varieties are tropical AFAIK. I've kept mine in 68f water, but they are more active in warmer.

Coursair said:
Perhaps. I'm still learning. The commonly available varieties are tropical AFAIK. I've kept mine in 68f water, but they are more active in warmer.

We all are still learning. We have only searched one percent of the ocean floor and are finding more species by the year in fresh water. But I'm just saying I'd bet some species could possibly adapt to it. Just not the ones you buy in pet stores.

Snails

Just wondering if the ones inside could live outside in my pond, it has a heater to keep water from freezing but can get icy cold, and as it is above ground the sides where the snails would be could get too cold.

As far as snails in lakes around the native area here, they have the advantage of being able to be deeper in the water/warmer than the above ground temps.

I would hate to have to be drilling ice holes in my pond in a blizzard to try and get some snails out to save them :ROFLMAO:

They unfortunately won't. Just insert pond snails. They will suffice

Orange Bee

Just the basic shrimp, they were pretty so I took 2 home. I think they need bw to do their thing so no babies but they are beautiful. So little.

They were really low on shrimp. Had something called Blackberries, which he said are different from Blueberries. idnk They were blackish and a few were partially clear.

Also had a Whisker Shrimp looked like half crab and half shrimp! Filter shrimp were too expensive.

Bought some onion plants and some Rotala Rotundifolia , and the fish I have been wanting the Pearl Gourami, they had a sale so I got 3 young ones and one gorgeous male not full grown yet, they seem to love the tank so far and are beautiful, but have left off the light to reduce stress. Although they seem very happy already.

They were $6.49 each, but the other store were 13.99. No shipping.

One is very bright orange and the other is more of a medium orange. Sooooo happy. He is ordering some cherries for me. And has some other ones, appx 10 more kinds Crystal Red, I get the initials mixed up.

I just want to stare at them!!!:dance:

Yep she's got the bug lol. What kind of basic shrimp, ghost shrimp?

Orange Bee

Orange Bee! lol It was in the heading of the post.

Already have 4 Ghost, 3 Amano and 1 Bamboo Shrimp (want another 1-2)!

I already got bit!

These 2 are little. They hopped into the water, and got busy picking for food. After an hour I don't see them, they must be hiding. or sleeping. I can have the Cherry shrimp too since they are different species. They will be here next a week from Thursday since Thurs is delivery day.

One of them was looking pretty close at a guppy fry, appx. the same size as shrimp. He didn't snap at it or anything just kept eyeballing it! They are over 1/2 inches and a little more size for the other one.
Ghost shrimp - will the Ghosties want to eat the Orange Bees? Fish guy said he didn't think there would be any problems, but he also repeated a couple times he was a fish guy and didn't know much about shrimp, but he was learning.

Back
Top Bottom