Shrimp Quest "Please Help" by AutumnSky (Long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Austin.B you are causing me to get motivated! lol

Hey all, I just posted some pics in a new album, I need to move the shrimp pics to a Shrimp only album, and the Goldfish to their album, but at least I got some pictures posted!

:(

Well my Female Orange Shrimp died right after I did a water change then today I found the dead Ghost. I checked the tank and the parameters were almost good. A little
Nitrate 30
Nitrite .5
Hardness 60
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 60
pH 7

I didn't have ammonia test, so it could have been that. Just guppy fry and the two shrimp (now one) and Cory, still can't catch the Cory, I have a thread about catching him.

Can't get the Master test kit til next week, I haven't had any problem up to now. Do regular pwc. appx 3-5 days, usually more than less. I am moving over my fish and then every tank will be moving up including the guppy fry and then I can have a shrimp only Edge.

Not sad about the little Ghost but really sad about the Female.

My Japanese Amano shrimp are so big and seem to be healthy and have been around for so long and aren't too particular, they are really happy, active and fun to watch.

My little orange boy spends lots of time picking behind the rocks so don't always get to see him. I guess I just need more pretty shrimp in a couple weeks.

I am going to wait a week or so to get the fish moved

Autumnsky said:
Well my Female Orange Shrimp died right after I did a water change then today I found the dead Ghost. I checked the tank and the parameters were almost good. A little
Nitrate 30
Nitrite .5
Hardness 60
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 60
pH 7

I didn't have ammonia test, so it could have been that. Just guppy fry and the two shrimp (now one) and Cory, still can't catch the Cory, I have a thread about catching him.

Can't get the Master test kit til next week, I haven't had any problem up to now. Do regular pwc. appx 3-5 days, usually more than less. I am moving over my fish and then every tank will be moving up including the guppy fry and then I can have a shrimp only Edge.

Not sad about the little Ghost but really sad about the Female.

My Japanese Amano shrimp are so big and seem to be healthy and have been around for so long and aren't too particular, they are really happy, active and fun to watch.

My little orange boy spends lots of time picking behind the rocks so don't always get to see him. I guess I just need more pretty shrimp in a couple weeks.

I am going to wait a week or so to get the fish moved

Those are pretty high nitrates for shrimp. Shrimp are very sensitive to nitrate, more so than a fish. Honestly, I don't think nitrates in a tank with dwarf shrimp should get higher than 20. Also, stress from changing out too much water to often, could also stress them out and kill them.

That was the highest ever. Usually Nitrates not ever higher than 10, its the guppy fry, I have to feed them frequently to keep them growing good. I am moving them really soon.

STRESS!- I also moved the bigger guppy fry when I did the water change last time when the Orange female died so maybe all my scooping out the 12 fry, (takes more effort in the Edge w/bad angles!!! )

Maybe that was what did it for her. :( I didn't even think about it, just figured it would be better to get them out of there. NOOB. I feel really bad, I remember scaring her while I was scooping the fry. :nono:

Better to have shrimp only for that tank.

Autumnsky said:
That was the highest ever. Usually Nitrates not ever higher than 10, its the guppy fry, I have to feed them frequently to keep them growing good. I am moving them really soon.

STRESS!- I also moved the bigger guppy fry when I did the water change last time when the Orange female died so maybe all my scooping out the 12 fry, (takes more effort in the Edge w/bad angles!!! )

Maybe that was what did it for her. :( I didn't even think about it, just figured it would be better to get them out of there. NOOB. I feel really bad, I remember scaring her while I was scooping the fry. :nono:

Better to have shrimp only for that tank.

Yeah I'm really not shocked that she died :/ and with visible nitrites, are you sure your cycle was prepped for handling a larger bioload?

:/ yeah it happens during water changes.

I'm nervous to aquascape with my hands now. My plants are getting out of the water now though, so I need to :S I want to wait for my tools to get here.

This morning little Orange boy is still going all over the tank eating.

Yesterday, I took out the dead Ghost shrimp and the Orange boy went over to the spot it had been laying, I guess looking for the body to eat. lol I had left it in for a couple of hours so he could eat it but then took it out since he hadn't come to it. Could have been too fresh. I didn't want to mess up the water any more so out it went.

The Edge tank has been up and running, maybe since the end of January, was cycled w/o fish had one tiny feeder goldfish in it for a couple weeks before it died, and had two Cory cats in there for a month, water was always pwc and good parameters.

(BTW Yes I know the goldfish didn't belong in there daughter bought it because it had a mustache and was cute and we had had the discussion about what kind of tank she could put it in but it was going to go into the pond.)

Took out one of the Cories. Couldn't find the other one thought it had died, unplugged the tank and it sat for two weeks with water in and not running filter or air, the "lost" Cory was found and we started running the tank again.

Still water param was perfect.

Started adding mommas having guppy fry over the last month +. Took out 12 1/4in fry about four days ago.

Two mommas just had fry in the last couple days and we have appx. 30 total, 20 newborn, 12 a couple weeks old. Mommas stay for about two days or when done having babies.

I use a cup to remove the water and in the past month, have only vacuumed the bottom once a couple weeks ago when I changed the rocks around and added a couple plants, was getting ready to vacuum again soon. Pretty difficult since there are so many rocks and plants.

Will take out guppies over the next few days. Any other ideas? Should I vacuum then or wait and vacuum a few days later.

All at once or space it out?

Other ideas/comments?

Autumnsky said:
This morning little Orange boy is still going all over the tank eating.

Yesterday, I took out the dead Ghost shrimp and the Orange boy went over to the spot it had been laying, I guess looking for the body to eat. lol I had left it in for a couple of hours so he could eat it but then took it out since he hadn't come to it. Could have been too fresh. I didn't want to mess up the water any more so out it went.

The Edge tank has been up and running, maybe since the end of January, was cycled w/o fish had one tiny feeder goldfish in it for a couple weeks before it died, and had two Cory cats in there for a month, water was always pwc and good parameters.

(BTW Yes I know the goldfish didn't belong in there daughter bought it because it had a mustache and was cute and we had had the discussion about what kind of tank she could put it in but it was going to go into the pond.)

Took out one of the Cories. Couldn't find the other one thought it had died, unplugged the tank and it sat for two weeks with water in and not running filter or air, the "lost" Cory was found and we started running the tank again.

Still water param was perfect.

Started adding mommas having guppy fry over the last month +. Took out 12 1/4in fry about four days ago.

Two mommas just had fry in the last couple days and we have appx. 30 total, 20 newborn, 12 a couple weeks old. Mommas stay for about two days or when done having babies.

I use a cup to remove the water and in the past month, have only vacuumed the bottom once a couple weeks ago when I changed the rocks around and added a couple plants, was getting ready to vacuum again soon. Pretty difficult since there are so many rocks and plants.

Will take out guppies over the next few days. Any other ideas? Should I vacuum then or wait and vacuum a few days later.

All at once or space it out?

Other ideas/comments?

Interesting about the Cory.

Just for future reference, as soon as something dies, shrimp immediately know.

I had two die in the past two weeks (different reasons) and in both cases, as the shrimp were near death, their other Tankmates were already picking at them.

Anywhays. That's what I dislike about livebearers. They over reproduce. I don't have experience with them because I won't keep them, so I wish you luck lol.

New Photo Album Additions

I have posted new pics in my album, of all sorts of things. Several kinds of snails. What should I put in for the shrimp other than Java Moss.

6.6 Edge Chilis brigettae Rasboras and shrimp

I received swassertang small chunk
Lots of Java Moss
Anacharis
Hygro Tiger
L. Arcata Fireleaf
Ambulia
Water Sprite
Wisteria
Repens x Arcuater (couldn't read the last part on the bag) Hybrid

Back
Top Bottom