Shrimp questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats one answer I have no idea about, Im curious about how many I can have, im sure someone else here will be able to answer.

i'm not sure how many you can have if it's just shrimp. for a community tank i was told 2-3 per gallon. i have a 45 gal tank so i could put 90 in there using those numbers. i am currently adding a few at a time. about 10 each time. i am buying only adult shrimp because i have 2 blue rams and 3 dwarf gourami's that snack on the smaller ones but leave the adults alone. also if you have fish with the shrimp have lots of plants for the shrimp to hide in. i also have a few moss balls and they like to stay close to those.

jpchin said:
i'm not sure how many you can have if it's just shrimp. for a community tank i was told 2-3 per gallon. i have a 45 gal tank so i could put 90 in there using those numbers. i am currently adding a few at a time. about 10 each time. i am buying only adult shrimp because i have 2 blue rams and 3 dwarf gourami's that snack on the smaller ones but leave the adults alone. also if you have fish with the shrimp have lots of plants for the shrimp to hide in. i also have a few moss balls and they like to stay close to those.

Yeah its a community and they have more than enough places to hide I'm planted out lol....I'm just trying to see what I can work with

10 per gallon is a good target. It's pretty much impossible to count them out when the population really starts taking off, but it's not likely to happen if you have fish in the tank. Rams and gouramis will both eat RCS, and likely harass the adults enough to kill them or at the least keep their population from ever expanding. There's only a few fish that work with a breeding group RCS (forget any cichlids) unless your tank is insanely well planted.

jetajockey said:
10 per gallon is a good target. It's pretty much impossible to count them out when the population really starts taking off, but it's not likely to happen if you have fish in the tank. Rams and gouramis will both eat RCS, and likely harass the adults enough to kill them or at the least keep their population from ever expanding. There's only a few fish that work with a breeding group RCS (forget any cichlids) unless your tank is insanely well planted.

I have a java wall that covers my while back part of my tank and there is like a half inch space behind it they stay there most of the time (fish can't get back behind) also there is lots of drift wood and java moss and stem plants all over for them to hide do u still think they could have a big colony or am I screwed

I don't know. I've tried them (still do) in a community setting and rarely ever see any shrimplets. Even with ample hiding places all they have to do is mess up and get found just once and they are snacked on, so I don't put them in community settings anymore (if I'm trying to breed them)

Nice math (y) I was to lazy to go thru it all. I am surprised though because mine is lower (GH/KH), yet my pH is higher (seems backwards to me).

The pH is your tank I'm guessing and that's a really good level IMO. I'd say save yourself the trouble and cost of RO water and stick with what you have.

I believe that pH measures the amount of H+ or OH- you have in your water, while hardness measures the buffering capacity of your water.

Back
Top Bottom