Shrimp recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 6 gallon and wanted to do a shrimp tank. I've only kept red cherry shrimp before. They did fine. Is like to try some other more colourful shrimp but I know very little about them.

Can anyone recommend some nice shrimp that are social and/or can be can be mixed with others?

Also any extra information would be much appreciated like things to consider when keeping shrimp.

This will be a dirtied tank with swords and crypts, some sticks and driftwood and perhaps an almond leaf every now and then?

Are there any betta safe shrimp available if I plan to add a beta down the road?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There a lots of varieties of neos available! In addition to red cherries I have red rili, orange sakura, and blue dream shrimp. If you want to venture into caridina shrimp I'd suggest starting with tigers, the others (crystal red, bees, etc) are a bit more difficult to care for.

Some bettas are ok with adult shrimp but will most likely eat shrimplets.

There a lots of varieties of neos available! In addition to red cherries I have red rili, orange sakura, and blue dream shrimp. If you want to venture into caridina shrimp I'd suggest starting with tigers, the others (crystal red, bees, etc) are a bit more difficult to care for.

Some bettas are ok with adult shrimp but will most likely eat shrimplets.

Thanks Theresa. Do you keep the the rili's, Sakuras and blue dreams together?

Thanks Theresa. Do you keep the the rili's, Sakuras and blue dreams together?

I do not. Different neos will cross breed and will eventually start throwing natural colored shrimp. It's really a matter of preference though...I know people who keep them together and the rainbow look is really nice!

I do not. Different neos will cross breed and will eventually start throwing natural colored shrimp. It's really a matter of preference though...I know people who keep them together and the rainbow look is really nice!

You mean the colours of the Orange and blue shrimp are not natural?

You mean the colours of the Orange and blue shrimp are not natural?

They're natural but have been bred for those specific colors, kind of like the different platies and guppies available. Helpful article and crossbreeding chart here. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom