Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So.. Ive already upgraded from a 1 gallon to a 2.5 gallon tank for the shrimp... Ive never had a shrimp tank before, so I would like to know a few things.

This is what I have currently.
-2.5 gallon glass aquarium
-Lid
-light

Should I go with sand? Or can I pull a bit of eco complete out of my 46 gallon and put it in there?

I was planning on moving over some of my small java fern sprouts and getting a moss ball... I heard the moss balls catch and grow alot of little things that shrimp babies can eat. Should I get any other decorations?

Do Red Cherry Shrimp need heat, or would they be okay with a room temp of around 70 degrees? (I live on the second story apartment and its never below 70 degrees >,<) Ive heard conflicting information.

Should I add a little aquarium salt, or are they fine completely freshwater?

Thanks in advance!

Talvari said:
So.. Ive already upgraded from a 1 gallon to a 2.5 gallon tank for the shrimp... Ive never had a shrimp tank before, so I would like to know a few things.

This is what I have currently.
-2.5 gallon glass aquarium
-Lid
-light

Should I go with sand? Or can I pull a bit of eco complete out of my 46 gallon and put it in there?

I was planning on moving over some of my small java fern sprouts and getting a moss ball... I heard the moss balls catch and grow alot of little things that shrimp babies can eat. Should I get any other decorations?

Do Red Cherry Shrimp need heat, or would they be okay with a room temp of around 70 degrees? (I live on the second story apartment and its never below 70 degrees >,<) Ive heard conflicting information.

Should I add a little aquarium salt, or are they fine completely freshwater?

Thanks in advance!

Any substrate is good IME.

The more plants the better. My shrimp love java moss and the marimo balls and other plants as well. They love to eat all the little organisms growing on then. Get what ever decorations your heart desires:)

The shrimp should be very happy at 70 degrees, no need for a heater!

No salt, they are freshwater and need only freshwater.

Awesome, thank you for such a quick reply.

I have wisteria, java fern, anubias, rotala, vals, and dwarf sag in my 46 gallon. My java ferns are growing little shoots all the time, Im sure ill be able to move plenty on over. Same with the anubias... Id be afraid to do much else since the light I havent isnt the best.

Well even with that the shrimp will be happy little creatures! Have fun and post pictures when it's all up and running:D

Thanks for the advice! I definitely will...

I think Ill go with the eco complete... It will help the plants grow a bit and its black so the shrimp should really stand out!

Back
Top Bottom