Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sssea

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello friends!
I have a little 2 gal set up and a phobia of inverts. My mother had the great idea of using my tiny tank to help me get over my fears. What type of shrimp would would be appropriate for this size and hardy enough for a first timer? I don't really know a whole lot about them (obviously).

For funsies, these are my precious little goldfish in my other tank: Augustus, Meryl and Mr. Boots.

Attachments

• image-381544844.jpg
    image-381544844.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3143494558.jpg
    image-3143494558.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 68
  • image-4181400959.jpg
    image-4181400959.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 66
Sssea said:
For funsies, these are my precious little goldfish in my other tank

What size is your other tank? The 2gal is actually pretty small, most of what is on that link I sent require at least 10gal..

I would prefer to keep them separate until I'm comfortable with their care and know them well.

Sssea said:
I would prefer to keep them separate until I'm comfortable with their care and know them well.

I'd suggest a 4-6 RCS (red cherry shrimp) and feed them sinking pellets used for one or your fishes. They're small, cute and if you give them some decco to hide in/around and they'll make you go hunting to see them :).

2 gal is fine for quite a few dwarf shrimp. Red cherry shrimp are pretty hardy and are prolific breeders..they are probably the most popular. You could start with just ghost shrimp, they are the cheapest..usually about 30 cents each..they are often used as feeders. Blue pearl shrimp are pretty and hardy. Sunkist shrimp would be fine also. Really anything that's cheap enough and you can get your hands on should work. If you can't find any locally, you can order RCS (red cherry shrimp) on ebay and aquabid for about $1 ea. including shipping.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'd suggest a 4-6 RCS (red cherry shrimp) and feed them sinking pellets used for one or your fishes. They're small, cute and if you give them some decco to hide in/around and they'll make you go hunting to see them :).

That sounds great! What kind of plants do they like? I'll probably go for 4 of them, would one cave, one small decoration and a plant be enough to keep them happy?

Cherry shrimp are good. If you really want to keep it cheap just go with ghost shrimp. They are really really cheap, but know that you'll probably have several die at first because of their feeder status they are not kept in the best of shape.

If you do cherry shrimp, I suggest getting some java moss, they love that stuff.

Sssea said:
That sounds great! What kind of plants do they like? I'll probably go for 4 of them, would one cave, one small decoration and a plant be enough to keep them happy?

They don't much care what plant/decco you put in. I have Java fern on a piece of DW (drift wood) and it's got a kinda twisted shape so they hide in/around it. I have ghost shrimp too, but I think the RCS are a good start for you and once your comfortable with them, maybe try the ghosties.

They're fun/cool to watch, so enjoy :D.

siva said:
2 gal is fine for quite a few dwarf shrimp. Red cherry shrimp are pretty hardy and are prolific breeders..they are probably the most popular. You could start with just ghost shrimp, they are the cheapest..usually about 30 cents each..they are often used as feeders. Blue pearl shrimp are pretty and hardy. Sunkist shrimp would be fine also. Really anything that's cheap enough and you can get your hands on should work. If you can't find any locally, you can order RCS (red cherry shrimp) on ebay and aquabid for about $1 ea. including shipping.

Thanks for the info, all of those shrimp are gorgeous! I love the blue ones.

I'd give them a place to hide and a moss/marimo ball and whatever else you want :)

jetajockey said:
Cherry shrimp are good. If you really want to keep it cheap just go with ghost shrimp. They are really really cheap, but know that you'll probably have several die at first because of their feeder status they are not kept in the best of shape.

If you do cherry shrimp, I suggest getting some java moss, they love that stuff.

I think the cherry shrimp are a good option, the ghost shrimp are waaaay scarier and I don't think I'm ready for them yet.

lol you poor dear! good luck with your fear :) I'm scared to death of spiders so I understand!

siva said:
I'd give them a place to hide and a moss/marimo ball and whatever else you want :)

I love the moss balls. I've been dying to get one for my other tank, but I hear goldfish like to munch on it.

Oh they may...I'm not sure I don't have goldies..Mr. Limpet would know..I bet ;)

The moss balls are great..I love them because I can't seem to kill them lol..they do fine in any lighting and you just give it a turn every so often :)

siva said:
Oh they may...I'm not sure I don't have goldies..Mr. Limpet would know..I bet ;)

The moss balls are great..I love them because I can't seem to kill them lol..they do fine in any lighting and you just give it a turn every so often :)

Are the moss balls not ment for snacking? Not jacking thread just curious

I just picked up a moss ball, big as a softball (mens) and my trio of goldies love to munch on it. They tore the first one apart and right now my goldie fry are enjoying it :).

I'm not sure it would work great for shrimp thought, Java moss was a good suggestion IMO. I have some java moss in with my shrimp and that could be where they are hiding lol.

Moss ball abuse is illegal.

EDIT: no fair. You fixed it...

Last edited:
I just picked up a moss ball, big as a softball (mens) and my trio of goldies love to munch on it. They tore the first one apart and right now my goldie fry are enjoying it :).

I'm not sure it would work great for shrimp thought, Java moss was a good suggestion though. I have some in with my shrimp and that could be where they are hiding lol.

You so crazy..I keep moss balls in all my shrimp tanks..shrimp love marimo (y)

Back
Top Bottom