Shrimps & Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F4A

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have five very hard working amano shrimp in my tank and I am considering added a few more, although not necessarily amano ones. Is there a limit to the number of shrimp which can go together providing there is sufficient food to go around?

I also like the idea of having a single snail in my tank for additional cleaning. If I did buy a snail I would want one which doesn't climb of out the tank, doesn't eat my plants, doesn't breed, and doesn't attack my shrimp. Plus, ideally one which remains pretty small. Is there such a snail?

You could try red cherry shrimp, they can co-exist with each other. Shrimps dont really need a daily feeding, as long as your giving a good amount of food 3-4 times a week. What kind of tankmates do you have?

You could try a nerite snail, they are great algae eaters (can eat off GSA) and do not breed in FW (breed in either salt or brackish). This snail should not eat the plants and is able to exist with the shrimp (I have them with my RCS). They might go above the water line every now and then, but they shouldnt go out of the tank.

FW shrimp add very little to your bioload. You could safely add several more.

RCS would be a good choice! All the common FW shrimp that I know of can coexist... but you have to be careful if you want to keep a colony that looks decent. Many types of shrimp are all variations of neocaridina. They can cross-bread, resulting in degradation of color. This would not be the case with Amanos, however. Any of the neocaridina varieties would be a good choice to combine with Amanos.

I like RCS and they are very cheap at just 50p each. Although I'm pretty sure they would get pecked by the zebra danio.

As for the snail a Nerite looks like a good option. However... A few weeks ago I found an acute bladder snail poking around for food. I immediately took it out but this week I found little tiny baby snails in my filter. This has me wondering if I'm going to be inundated with bladder snails in about 4-6 weeks from now. If this is the case, should I consider buying an assassin snail instead?

The assassin snail is not a bad idea.

I have kept rcs with danios with no issues. Some of the shrimplets might get picked off now and then, but the colony is thriving. Success in that regard may come down to available cover for the shrimp.

Okay thanks.

Many of the articles on Nerite snails say they have a habbit of leaving the tank, if this true of assassin snails too?

My assassin snails never leave the water, and I have over 35 of them. My mystery snail? A whole 'nother story! LOL

Size of the snail population (MTS, pond snails, bladder snails, etc) depends on how much you feed the tank. The population will rise if there is any food left out; The population will stay at what it is if you are watching if you are over feeding.

An assassin snail would do great at this point.

Didn't get any snails today the shop wanted £6.50 for a baby assassin. Daylight robbery :(

Just bought two assassins on eBay. They were £1.80 each, there were some cheaper but they didn't have a heat pack and guarantee which these do. I am looking forward to getting them now. I'm going to keep that ramshorn snail I found earlier so my assassins can have a treat :D

Congrats on the new invert :D
Oh, and I just seen your tank pics. Your tank is beautiful. :)

Its too small :D
I'd have a 300L if I can afford and I had the room.

I got some nerite snails yesterday for $.98 each. I asked for 6 but the guy gave me 7 and charged me for 6. haha. I did a shell count and I only count 1 (put 2) in my 14g and 2 (put 5) in my 29g I hope they didn't escape. :(

Do the assassins look around for the ramshorn or do they know where they are?

Do you think if I asked in the pet shop if I can have the "pest" snails they would let me take some?

They scoot around with a little snorkel out, which is also their stinger I believe, and I also think they smell with it. They eventually find the other snail, sting it, then eat it.

The LFS would most likely let you have some snails for free, but I wouldn't get any until the assassin snail takes care of the snails you have. If you only got one, he will probably only get about 1-2 snails a day.

Back
Top Bottom