Siamese Algae Eater - ok as a single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cwt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought two SAE's a few weeks ago for a tank that did not have any natural scavengers in it. Despite being fairly young, they're doing a great job. But now I'm wondering whether it would cause a problem if I split them up, and put one in a tank which really needs their help. Do these fish care if they're single, or do they prefer pairs or groups?They rarely pay attention to each other, except that occasionally the slightly larger one picks on the slightly smaller one.

My only hesitation with getting more SAEs is that I intend to keep my tanks relatively small, and these guys can grow some. So I'd prefer to keep only two.

Stuff I've read about BBA and hair algae (the two key problems in my 30G tank) suggest it's a matter of nitrate/phosphate balance, so I think for right now I will resolve to changing the water a bit more frequently instead of hustling the fish here and there to do what the big dopey human should be taking care of ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

I think they would be fine as a single. But i think they are better in groups. I would go with 3 to be safe i think.

Back
Top Bottom