Sick Angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Par

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our angelfish developed red or infected areas a few days ago (see attached picture) along the back, base of the paired fins, and inside the snout. No other changes in the tank, or tank management have been done for 3 months.

Any idea what it could be this time, or what to do? Is it a serious problem?

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). Our 5" marble angel has recently developed red areas around the base of several fins, especially the dorsal, and seemingly inside the snout.

No glancing, normal behavior, good appetite. Tank mates seem healthy.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
temperature 87°F
ammonia 0 (Nutrafin drop test)
nitrite 0 (Lifegard test strip)
nitrate <20 mg/L (Lifegard test strip)
salt 1.5 ppt
pH 7.6 (same as degassed tap water; unchanged by PWCs)
hardness 48 mg/L as CaCo3

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
The tank is 46 gal set up 3 years ago. The is an inch or so of coarse plasticized gravel, plastic plants, and one large unidentified live plant.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Marineland H.O.T Magnum 250gph, plus two airstones. No under gravel filter.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Three fish: 5" tall angelfish, 6" pleco, and 5" red finned shark.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
We do a 10% water change weekly. The replacement water is heated and aerated but not treated with any conditioners. Water is removed with a gravel vacuum/siphon.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? 3+ years

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? One of the following, daily. No recent changes.
TetraMin tropical flakes.
blackworms
frozen brine shrimp

Attachments

• IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 79
Possibly septicemia, marcyn II I believe is the meds I used a few years back when one of my angels got it, it survived after treatment for about 7 months.

If you do not have a QT tank, treat the whole tank , get two packages of them or the one big one, you will need it.

Hoopefully others have better advice on this but this is the way I treated it when my angel had it.

Heat and salt work well, remove all carbon from the filtration system, do not replace the carbon till treatment is finished.

also, you might want to get a 2nd filter, the HOT250 was barely enough for my 40 tall guppy tank, even a smaller 10-20g fiilter will work.

Back
Top Bottom