Sick angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
His mouth won't close all the way. He has stayed pretty light in color. Saw him like this the other day and didn't think much of it but it's going on 3 days. He still swims fine but he looks terrible

Attachments

• 20170908_181245.jpg
    20170908_181245.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 115
Making a disease diagnosis is real difficult in person, let alone a photo. Just an educated guess, Symptoms: Fading color, I noticed several white bumps on the angels body. You noted that the fish was having mouth problems. You might want to research "Columnaris". That disease is usually a rapid killer. The fact that your Angel has been afflicted for 3 days might
eliminate that possibility, but every situation is different. There are numerous meds available for bacterial infections, or you can treat it the non med way, Salt treatment, low temp to 75 degrees, WC's. It practically the same treatment as for Ick, except the lower temp. I'm not a med expert, but several AA members are. I'm sure one will chime in. Good luck.

I also noticed he had a loss of appetite. Anybody who has had angels know they're aggressive feeders. He has no desire to eat. Tank is established. No abnormal readings for water parameters.

Columnaris is a weird bug. Most diseases thrive in poor water conditions. Not Columnais, it occurs in clean, warm water. Fungus, Bacteria and parasites are always present in all tanks. They usually exist in small populations until one fish becomes weak, the pathogen takes root, then all #### breaks loose.
If you can remove the fish to a hospital tank, you probably should. If not, you might consider euthanizing the fish in order to save the rest. Once a bacterial infection takes hold it's usually a one way ticket. Be sure to research diseases and treatments. Good luck.

Thanks a lot. I noticed too that his gill movement is pretty rapid. I don't know if that changes anything. He seems lethargic. He only sits in one spot.

I have list 3 fish about 2 weeks ago all within a couple days. My beloved betta who either got picked on because his tail was deteriorating or something else. One platy that was a new edition died within a week of introduction and a black neon tetra. Who has survived ick and my old amateur skills. That may have been old age

Looks like you may still have ich ?
Both ich and columnaris will hide in the gills and grow while weakening the fish.
I agree it could be columnaris since you have lost other fish rather quick and in succession...Often just the irritation of another issue [ich ] will weaken /stress a fish enough to allow other issues to pop up...These are called secondary infections and sometimes treating the #1 issue will solve both.IMO columnaris is the exception..Ich meds will not clear it up ,but still may help the fish.
This is a long read but the best info on columnaris ;
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
Here is another easier to read link on the dreaded "C" ;
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/colum...out-the-types-causes-and-treatments-1689.html

Kannamycin [seachem] and Furan 2 [API] are what you want if you think it is columnaris..
Both for 10 days at the same time following dosing directions IMO.Many links suggest 4-5 day treatments but antibiotics don't work like that so ?
If the fish looks bad it is suggested to euthanize it in the treatment process..Coloumnaris will wipe out your tank if not treated.....:hide:

Was the angels head always black?

No it wasn't. He has a stripe that runs through the eye but not like that. I did notice last night his stripes have darkened back up for a while then went away then darkened again. So the color was still there. His stripes aren't always there

Picture from this morning. Definitely not ich. It looks like scales are missing.

Attachments

• 20170909_114425.jpg
    20170909_114425.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 72
I can 100% confirm it's not ich. It does look like ich in pictures but in person it's not bubbled at all

Also no other fish seem affected. Everybody is normal.

The 'Handbook of Fish Disease' specifically has a picture of a fish with body turning black just like yours .
The info leads to ; thyroid tumor ,that may be treated with iodine added to water if this has been a slow appearing issue.
If it happened quick then treatment "is impossible" according to the book.
From the book;
Thyroid tumors can be malignant or benign.They can be recognized at an early stage by a lifted operculum even while the fish is breathing calmly.
If the tumor is caused by an iodine deficiency then the addition of iodine to theaquarium water may cure the disease.
Malignant tumors (thyroid carcinomas) soon grow back if the diseased tissue is not completely excised. Metastases often appear in the same organ as well as sometimes distant parts of the body. Treatment is impossible.
Page 114 The Handbook of Fish Disease.

Since no other fish are affected I would assume the worse?

Yeah that sounds like it. So iodine is the only treatment option? I'm assuming this means i need to isolate the fish and begin treatment? Any idea about iodine treatments?

IMO if iodine was to low in water column other fish would be effected?
From the book on treatment ;
Potassium iodide and iodine
Use ; Thyroid swelling
Benign tumors can be treated with these chemicals , showing improvement only after 2-4 weeks , at which time the swelling or tumor slowly regresses . Carry out the treatment in the aquarium. Do not filter over charcoal [carbon].
Stock solution;
0.5 g iodine and 5 g potassium iodide dissolved into 100ml water.
Dosage;
With a pipette , add 1 drop of the stock solution to every 5 liters of aquarium water. More precisely , add 1 ml stock solution to 50 liters of aquarium water.
the appropriate dosage is re-added after every water change.

I hope this helps as this is from the best book on fish disease I have found and own..

On a completely in important note ,with other fish being not effected I would strongly consider euthanizing the fish and getting the tank[and all the other fish] safe and healthy again.I am not aware of a iodine test kit besides for reefers .It probably would not work on freshwater do to water chemistry and my belief that iodine is in higher concentration [although still considered a TRACE ELEMENT]...
Reefers always say to never add ANYTHING you can not test for....

I can go deer hunting and fishing but can't come to kill my fish for some reason

I don't even hunt but take the view when I remove fish from the tank it is in the best interest and welfare of the other inhabitants...I did not buy the best disease book not to attempt treatments when viable.
I feel your pain ,as a breeder I remove more fish then most, but in doing so have better fish to share for it.
If treatment is possible for you it does not sound to difficult, it will just take a while to see if it works.
Good luck.(y)

Well it's been probably been s week now. I still haven't been able to put him down. I read another article where they said angels can get gravel stick in their mouths and stuff.

It seems like there is a black spot way down in his throat, not mouth but this may just be the color of it. Even if it was gravel, it's pretty far in there

Back
Top Bottom