Sick Betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luxbear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I just have a few questions about my betta. He began to lay on his side at the bottom of the tank a few days ago. We thought he was resting but soon discovered that he had that powdery look that no betta owner ever wants to see. His fins had slimmed down, which I'm assuming is the reason why he now has difficulty swimming (in addition to the infection) and continues to lay at the bottom.

We have lowered his water level to a half gallon to make sure he gets plenty of oxygen. We started treating him with MelaFix a three days ago, and the white dust on his exterior appears to be dissipating. From what I've read, betta owners should use MelaFix in reduced amounts because it's really strong - I haven't given him anything more than a couple of drops on a daily basis. We have also been doing 70% water changes every morning, adding aquarium salt and water treatment.

I guess my question is, how can I tell if MelaFix is actually working? When should he begin showing signs of recovery? He is still having difficulty swimming, his fins are still slim and now he appears to be breathing heavily. Is there anything else I can do for him?

Back
Top Bottom