Sick Betta :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piggypie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got this double tail male about a month ago, his name is Peanut.

He is in a 5gal at about 76*F with some plants, a piece of Malaysian driftwood, and some slate rock in addition to course black sand substrate. The tank is filtered by a small sponge filter which is supposed to be good for up to 10gal, but I turned it down slightly because the water current seemed a bit much for him. His tank has regular water parameters for nitrate, nitrites, and ammonia. He shares the tank with several MTS and small ramshorn snails.

He wasn't very active when I first put him in the tank, and mostly hid in corners and under plants and I figured this was just stress from the move, but it never went away. He showed signs of being sick, but I couldn't see any symptoms and didn't want to give him random medications. Now he's even less active. Sometimes his belly turns him sideways and I recently noticed an odd, light colored bulge in his abdomen. It is hard for me to tell by color/patches of color/etc. if anything is wrong because I'm not familiar with his color patterns. If anyone can help me figure out what's going on I would really appreciate it :(

This is him about a month ago:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420774158.412118.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420774182.746782.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420774209.548861.jpg

And this is him today with the lump:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420774244.268782.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420774269.421422.jpg

Note: his tank had a blue algae outbreak a week ago, but that's mostly gone now.

May be a swim bladder issue?? Is he eating? How often you change water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He isn't eating that I can see :( I change the water weekly, but his little cup at the store probably wan't great...

Sad lil guy.. I'm not sure what the best course would be?? Maybe a little epsom salt, if he's constipated or bloated it would help. Not sure much cab be done for swim bladder issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I'm looking at the right thing, it looks like a mass that is probably pressing on his swim bladder... could be a digestive issue, a localized infection or, and I hate to say it, but just because of the gradual onset, it could be a tumor.

I would try an epsom salt bath on him (1 tablespoon of Epsom salt per gallon in a separate container, let him soak for absolutely NO longer than 15 minutes). If that seems to help, antibiotics might be helpful as well.

Last edited:
I agree with the epsom salt...if it's a constipation issue, it should help. What do you feed him, and how much?

If it's not related to his digestion, it's hard to say what could be the cause. I'd make sure you're doing frequent water changes, and be sure he can easily reach the surface. Having lots of plants with leaves he can rest on would work, or lower the water level.

He's a beautiful fish. I hope he improves!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gave him an Epsom salt bath and I'm going to try fasting him for three days then giving him a blanched pea :/

Good. Let us know how he does! I hope the salt bath helped. Poor guy. :(

Poor guy. It looks like he is struggling a ton since any time a fish lays down, it usually means they are on their way out. You could try the salt bath others mentioned, but that may be the last amount of stress he can take. When they reach this stage, it is not usually a good prognosis.

Its not your fault either, these fish are kept in horrible conditions and its hard sometimes to try and select a semi-healthy one. Those cups they are in are stagnant to say the least and bacterial breeding grounds (not the good kind). How long has the 5 gallon been up and running?

The 5gal has been running a few months. The salt bath seemed to help some, but he still won't eat... He's back to floating on the top, but I gave him another salt bath today and it seemed like he was able to stay in the middle for longer before floating again. I moved him to my 10gal which has been running for a little over a year because that one has more plants/low current areas/is more established etc. and is pretty under stocked right now because the several month old female betta I had in there that was doing so well somehow managed to jump out through the tiny hole the filter comes in :( RIP, it was so sad...
I will probably try giving him a salt bath daily for a few days, then if he still isn't eating I'll start treating with an antibacterial.
Thanks guys

I've done a 12-14min Epsom salt bath once a day for the last three days (I followed these steps: http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/salt-baths.html) and today I started dosing with API Melafix. Does anyone know if I should continue doing salt baths during the time I'm medicating, or would that be too stressful? Right now I'm thinking of doing them every other day an shortening the length.

Poor little guy! :(

There is a lot of debate out there on the web regarding the use of Melafix on Bettas (or any fish with labyrinth organs). I personally do not use it on mine--I just don't think there is enough benefit to be worth the potential hazard. If it were me, I would discontinue the Melafix and keep up with the epsom salt baths for a few more days. If it is a constipation issue, improvement should show in that time frame. Is he eating yet? Try frozen daphnia instead of a pea. This can sometimes be effective. If the salt baths prove ineffective, you may want to consider antibiotics as a last resort.

I've read that double tails can be prone to swim bladder issues. You are doing a great job trying to help him, and I really wish the best for you!

Thanks for the info about the melafix. He developed some moderate fin rot over the past week, so I will probably continue the melafix for a little while but at 1/5 the normal dose. I've been treating him for constipation for almost a month and he hasn't improved much and still won't eat, not even frozen bloodworms. I'm doing about a 10% water change every time I give him a salt bath, and I just checked my water parameters (0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, 5-10ppm nitrate) so I don't think my water quality is an issue :( so I think whatever is causing his sbd and fin rot must be some kind of bacteria.

And I heard that about double tails recently too :) I think they are so pretty, but if I ever get another double tail I'll make sure he's SUPER healthy before buying him... I don't want to go through this every time...

If you have been treating him for a month without result, it's likely not constipation. I hope you can convince him to eat...sometimes foods soaked in garlic juice can entice them. Poor fella.

I've just gotten a jar of minced garlic (I shop at a natural food type of store, so it's organic. Just be sure to read the label for any additives). Just soak some pellets in a couple of drops of juice and offer it. You can use fresh garlic as well, but I've always opted for the easier route. ;)

Thanks! :)

I've always had a tough time finding maracyn two in my area, but today I was able to and will now be dosing my tank with that instead of the melafix. :)

Back
Top Bottom