Sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gab_attack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm really worried about my favorite betta fish, who isn't doing too good. A little over a week ago I turned on the tank lights in the morning and noticed him laying in the corner of the tank. This worried me because he is normally a very active fish.

Despite nothing seeming wrong besides the lethargy, I quarantined him for a week with daily water changes and aquarium salt treated water. I tested his original tank water and nothing had changed since the pwc done two days prior.

After this week he had seemed to perk up a little, still not quite as active as he was but much improved. I did a water change to his original 5.5 gallon and tested to make sure everything was okay before reacclimating and putting him back. For the first two days he seemed back to normal, but I came home after work again and found him lifeless at the bottom of the tank.

Fearing the worst I went to net him but he moved away from me, so he was still alive. Once again I placed him in quarantine but now I'm noticing his scales are slightly raised.

I'm fearing dropsy, though I have no idea how he could have gotten it. Is there anything else it could be besides that? He's stopped eating and only moves if I touch the container he's being quarantined in.

I've had him for close to five years now and am worried that my favorite betta is on his way out. :(

Is there anything else I can do for him or should I euthanize him? I'd hate for him to suffer and it stinks to see him like this after knowing how much personality he used to have.

Here's a picture of what his scales look like, I just took it before posting this so it's recent.

Attachments

• 1426535899901.jpg
    1426535899901.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 62
5 years is a LONG time. Amazing he's done so well. He's gorgeous. But I fear if nothing else it may finally be his time.

There's 2 peaceful methods of euthanizing them that I am aware of.
1. Plastic bag of tank water and put him in the freezer. It's something like putting them to sleep.
2. Clove oil I think it is. Again sorta just puts them into an eternal sleep.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Correct me if I'm wrong but clove oil is the only humane way.

I think if you stick them in the freezer they just slowly freeze to death and can feel that.

On another note your Betta is gorgeous, I'm sure he's had a great life!

I love my fish!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but clove oil is the only humane way.

I think if you stick them in the freezer they just slowly freeze to death and can feel that.

On another note your Betta is gorgeous, I'm sure he's had a great life!

I love my fish!!!

If the freezer way is wrong and not actually humane I'm going to feel terrible because I performed it last night on my Bichir. (He simply would NEVER eat anything I tried and was so weak I put him out of his misery he was floating on top.)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah he's been around for awhile and even now he's still kicking, but it's clear he's getting worse so I'll be euthanizing him after this post. Thanks for the help, I didn't know about the clove oil so I'll dig around for it, pretty sure I have some.

In any case, here's one of my favorite pictures of him, not fully in focus but I still love the pic.

Attachments

• 1426543448813.jpg
    1426543448813.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 58
Also unfortunately I just looked up the freezer thing, and this is in now way meant to make you feel bad at all; it was just misinformation someone probably told you.

This is for anyone who is thinking of doing this in the future to euthanize fish.

Here's a quote
"Do not put the fish in the freezer or in cold water before incapacitating it. Unlike humans who fall asleep and die from the freezing temperatures, fish can actually feel the ice crystals forming on their skin causing immense pain and suffering before death. Fish do not pass out from cold as humans would and tend to live for hours at extreme temperatures before death."

I love my fish!!!

Also unfortunately I just looked up the freezer thing, and this is in now way meant to make you feel bad at all; it was just misinformation someone probably told you.

This is for anyone who is thinking of doing this in the future to euthanize fish.

Here's a quote
"Do not put the fish in the freezer or in cold water before incapacitating it. Unlike humans who fall asleep and die from the freezing temperatures, fish can actually feel the ice crystals forming on their skin causing immense pain and suffering before death. Fish do not pass out from cold as humans would and tend to live for hours at extreme temperatures before death."

I love my fish!!!

Well lesson learned. He didn't feel the ice. He passed in only a few minutes. The water was only like 50 degrees.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

That's very good to hear actually. I felt bad saying that what you did wasn't the best but it was to inform others.

What you did wasn't bad, it worked.

I love my fish!!!

That's very good to hear actually. I felt bad saying that what you did wasn't the best but it was to inform others.

What you did wasn't bad, it worked.

I love my fish!!!

Yeah he was very weak to begin with. Not planning on another after that episode.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I thought you were the one whose fav fish was bichirs?

Or are you dojo loach guy? Lol

That's how I remember people on here! ??

I love my fish!!!

I thought you were the one whose fav fish was bichirs?

Or are you dojo loach guy? Lol

That's how I remember people on here! ??

I love my fish!!!

I'm the dojo guy! Lol but I like all the eels/loaches/Bichir. This Bichir just didn't like me or any food that came from me.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom