Sick betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedE Set Go

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, before I go into anything lemme get the specs of the tank and general info out there.

Fluval Spec V (with mods on pump tube)
pH - Hard to read but around 7.6-8.0
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Nitrates ~ 10 ppm
Temp - 76°F but it feels pretty cold even when my heater is set to like 86.

Tank was cycled over the summer, but left alone untouched for two weeks while I was on vacation (lots of algae grew). BUT two weeks ago I had cleaned the tank and its components really well so I didn't think that would be an issue. The tank has always seemed to grow algae really quickly, and I have had to clean the sides of the tank a lot. It seems as if there are dust particles in the tank especially when I do a water change.

Anyway, I got my betta on Thursday and he is beautiful. Ever since he has gotten in the new tank though he seems lethargic (he will go rest against the filter intake, just sit at the bottom of the tank and not move, and hide a ton). He also won't eat, although some pellets and freezedried bloodworn I put in there has disappeared so maybe he ate them. He will put the food in his mouth and then spit it out. I don't want to say he is starting to get fin rot or clamped fins because I'm generally a worrisome person so I tend to overreact to small things. But the pictures attached will give you a good idea. I just really want my lil guy to be happy and safe in his tank. I don't wanna lose him. Any ideas?

Also here is a video of him before he got to my tank https://youtu.be/QM408pt2QCo

(Three pictures of him just staying in one spot and one full picture of the tank)

Attachments

• 20190906_203046.jpg
    20190906_203046.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190907_084948.jpg
    20190907_084948.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190907_001102.jpg
    20190907_001102.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190906_203851.jpg
    20190906_203851.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 45
So pretty.

Did you use ammonia to cycle the tank?

Was he ever active?

If not, frequently they are fairly weak muscle wise as they do not get to swim properly in the smaller cups they live in.

I would use a dedicated turkey baster (available at the dollar store) to suck up un eaten food.

Give him 5 or 10 min, and if he doesn't eat it suck out the uneaten food and just try that several times a day. See if a lfs around you have live Brine shrimp. They can hardly resist live foods.

Do you happen to know if he was bred and raised in the local area you are in? Keep up some frequent pwc's, to help reduce fin rot issues. When they sit in the bottom all the time the muck at the bottom of the tank can cause fin problems.

Check in to getting a Betta Leaf for him to rest on and a Betta Log is an awesome option.

Just make sure to put your hand inside the log feel around to be sure there aren't any jagged edges which could tear fins or injure him. Some one reported a sharp piece inside and I had a pretty rough edge inside of one of mine. The Betta Log will degrade over time about a year is when I start thinking about getting a new one. Just remove it periodically and rinse the inside to get out poo and debris.

Big box stores will usually price match direct online competitors, even their own online prices, so you can often save a few bucks by asking.

Also some stem plants which grow well in your local water is a fun addition because the Betta will swim around and through them if planted and also hang around in them like a hammock if they are left floating.

Maybe he's getting settled in. Your parameters look ok. 50% weekly water changes if you aren't already. Autumn's turkey baster idea works great and I use this method myself. I would get a second heater and put the tank temp at 80 degrees.

Is there a moderate to heavy flow of water in the tank?

I’d take a gamble and say it’s stress. Bettas, and Gouramis both do this sometimes when introduced to a new tank. He should be okay after like a week or so. He doesn’t seem to have any physical ailments.

Such a handsome guy. Follow the great advice I have learned a lot from these guys they know what they are talking about.
You will find bettas like to rest on things. I have a bridge and Archie (my Betta) likes to lay on there. Get to know his personality you are going to enjoy they love to entertain. I have two and they are both totally different.
I find Archie really likes frozen blood worms UN thawed of course where my other one (Bobo) loves Omega One Betta pellets along with frozen blood worms and shrimp. Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom