sick black neon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lornajane89

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi all. i dont kno y i always seem to have one fish thats dying. its never 2 that are sick at one time. my params are fine 0.0.10 ph is about 7.8. this time its this neon. ive been doing daily 50% pwcs since he got sick. and hes not getting any better

ForumRunner_20120831_183829.jpg

ForumRunner_20120831_183944.jpg

it cant be old age.

stocked in this tank are 10 black and 10 blue neons. 3 guppys and 5 otos. feel like im just waiting for them all to die so i can bleach the lot and start again

just noticed hes like a pine cone. must be dropsy. does dropsy show differently in certain fish? thinkin of givin up tbh just feel like im just sendin fish to their death in my tank.

lornajane89 said:
just noticed hes like a pine cone. must be dropsy. does dropsy show differently in certain fish? thinkin of givin up tbh just feel like im just sendin fish to their death in my tank.

Oh dear! I'm sorry to hear about your fish. Don't give up though. When I set up my 55 and had it cycled I started putting in fish. Every fish I put in the tank died in a matter of days. I tore the whole thing down, cleaned it out (it was new so wasn't dirty), changed the substrate... Put more fish in and they died. My water params were perfect except in my case the pH was 8.3- not good for Tetras. Anyway, after a few months of battling the tank and killing fish (I swear I think the LFS was going to stop selling me fish) I finally figured out my pH problem and how to keep it lowered. No more fish died. My tank has been running good now for 4 months. The moral of this story is to keep on trying to get it right. The people on this forum were tremendously helpful to me. I'm sure they will be able to help you figure out what the problem is. It isn't easy to lose fish and I know the feeling you are having. I felt like I was just sentencing my fish to die.

Curious. How do you keep your pH down? Mine is 8 or higher and my tetras don't do well either.

ive had this tank for 12 months. ive got 2 tanks a 50g and a 30g. but at Any point in time ive always got one sick or dying fish. my 30g has been ok for a while just the sick neon.

in my 50g i lost 2 marygold swordtails both females to what i thought was bacterial finrot. got up this mornin and my koi swordtail female is hidin behind the filter and my male wagtail sword has a chunk missin from his tail. i treated one marygold with meds in a qt tank but she kept gettin worse but now a week later my last 2 swords are sick aswell. i do 50%pwcs in both tanks and my qt tank gets 50% Everyday. i dont get what im doin wrong. my oldest fish (polkadot loaches) have never been sick.... im really confused at why i keep losin fish on a regular basis

i think im gonna treat both tanks with melafix. from what ive read it seems like a good all round treatment. rather than isolating one sick fish and the next week another come down with the same problem i better treat the whole tank. i dont know what exactly is causing my poison water but i do plenty of big pwcs to ensure its clean so there must be somethin that waterchanges isnt helping.

Hey I would test my ph and then google search the fish you have and see what ph they require and then go from there if you need to lower your ph you could try adding drift wood to your tank to help naturally lower your ph. I also add peet moss granules to my filter to lower my ph on one of my tanks.

Also how are you acclimating the fish to your tank little tetras can be touch and go the first few weeks do to acclimation. What is your tanks temp?

i keep all my tanks at 79 degrees. i have mopani in my small tank and drift wood in my large one. i had these fish for months so not acclimating. i lost one to popeye within the first few days but theyve been trouble free for ages. how long do neons usually live?

oh and my ph is about 8ish but i struggle with the browns on my api high range ph kit so im not 100% its not just the neon it seems im constantly losing a fish, mainly live bearers but in 12 months ive lost:
1x neon - popeye
2x julii corys - unknown
2x guppy - dropsy
1x guppy - mystery red spot then he just vanished???
3x dwarf gouramis - d.g disease
2 swordtails - fin rot
1x neon popeye/dropsy.

all my problems are apparently bacterial so thats why im goin for the milafix and pimafix and im thinkin stress zyme bacteria booster for good measure just to help benificial bacteria multiply a bit. ill run an airstone on both tanks to aid oxygenation if this doesnt work i think its just a matter of time before i have to start over and bleach the tank

another neon had started to get fin rot a few days ago. ive been treating the tank with melafix and pimafix since last sunday but he just got worse. his tail is completely gone now and hes got a white stump so i think its a fungal. the guy can harrdly swim now hes just flappin about. i dont know whats goin on. i do 50% pwcs a week. i know its bad water what else can i do

i think i may have neon tetras disease in my tanks. ive looked all over and it fits alot of cases of my dead fish. im gonna euthanise the neon now and just keep removing the sick. euthanising seems to be my only option unless anybody knows of a treatment.

Back
Top Bottom