Sick Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OUfishman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had just bought a tank raised percula clown on saturday. Today he wont eat and is swimming different, he just hovers barely above the sand. He also has what to appears to be a little red rash or sore on his head right in front of his dorsal fin. If anyone has some advice that can help me I would appreciate it.

was this red spot on the fish when you got it? What are your water peramiters?

Clown fish are known to swim funny in compairson to other fish or do you mean its swimming funny for a clown?

Its also common for clowns to not eat for a period of time after you get them due to the stress of the new enviorment.

No the red spot wasnt there when I bought it, I just noticed it there this morning. All the chemical levels in my tank are where they should be, and the size of my tank is a 20 gallon long. The fish is swimming funny for a clown, it looks like its having trouble getting around and just stays in one place hovering just above the sand. I just dont know what to do with the poor guy, hes not loking well.

Red spots are usually a sign of trauma or bacterial infection, if it were my clown I would remove to a quarantine/hospital tank and medicate with E-mycin.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I went to the store and bought some medicine and when I got back he was dead :( :twisted: I am now refusing to buy any fish for a few months, I lost two in two days, there goes 40$. I just dont get it, other fish ive had in the past have all been fine except clowns, I dunno but I give up for a while

I have had a scooter blenny, fire fish goby, 4 stripped damsel, green chromis and two yellow tailed damsels. All did fine, but I gave them away and now only have the 4 stripped damsel. He didnt bother my two new clowns who are now both gone, but I just recived a royal gramma as a gift and the damsel doesnt really seem to like him. I have just always had troubles with clowns and I cant figure out why, there my favorite fish and I cant seem to keep them alive for very long. :oops: . This sucks!

Sorry for the loss but I think you will continue to have this problem given the info below.

OUfishman said:
All the chemical levels in my tank are where they should be, and the size of my tank is a 20 gallon long..

OUfishman said:
I have had a scooter blenny, fire fish goby, 4 stripped damsel, green chromis and two yellow tailed damsels. All did fine, but I gave them away and now only have the 4 stripped damsel. He didnt bother my two new clowns who are now both gone, but I just recived a royal gramma as a gift and the damsel doesnt really seem to like him.
You need to remeber that damsel fish are quite territorial and aggressive. Clowns are part of that family and you may not be witness to it but I'll bet one or more of the current fish load is killing the clown, most likely the 4 stripes. They can be holy terrors much like the domino damsel. I would urge you to reduce your fish stocks by half before attempting any new addition. 10 fish in a 20 gal tank is a bit crowded.

Cheers
Steve

Sorry for the confusion but what I meant was that I only have one damsel, it is a single damsel with 4 stripes. So all togeather I had 3 fish in the tank, I now have two that being the damsel and royal gramma that I just recieved today. Thanks for the advice steve, but I still dont get why I cant keep clowns, they are the only fish that I have a hard time with and I dont think its over stocking. I have never had more then 3 fish in there at once. Does anyone else have this problem with clowns. All the clowns Ive purshased were tank raised and I thought they were suppose to be very hardy, is there a chance Im being lied to by the pet store or just something with my tank clowns dont like?...Im still a little confused.

Sorry, must be having a bad arithmatic day.. :?

Have you been quarantining the fish prior to placing them in the main tank? A good head start always helps :wink:

More than possible the LFS is giving you the gears. There is no way of telling a wild from tank raised and wild ocellaris are actually not very durable so to speak. I would suggest trying a different LFS mabye.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. Problem is theres only one LFS that has saltwater fish out here at school. Ill look into it some more when im outta here and Ohio for that matter. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom