sick danio (glofish) help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moheesviolin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a newly established 20gal tank with 7 glofish. All of them seem healthy, eat well, swim around quite a bit, and dart all around the tank. All except one. I put these guys in the tank Sunday night and until yesterday all of them seemed fine. Yesterday I noticed that one of them seemed a little less active than the others and didn't race to the top of the tank to feed with the rest, but hung around near the bottom of the tank. Same thing this morning. I got home from work and he/she is now swimming at the very top of the tank and kinda seemed caught in the current caused by the filter and airstones. I turned off the filter and air pump to see what he would do. He is now swimming around at the top of the tank. He seems to be gasping and pumping his gills a lot, or at least opening and closing his mouth a whole lot. His gills seem to be fine in colour and his belly looks normal, and I can't see anything obviouly wrong with him other than his behaviour. The other fish are all acting fine, swimming vigorously and all over the tank. My water readings all came back withing normal limits. I am about to separate the sick one into a small tank I have as soon as the water temp. evens out. What else should I do?

tank was cycled for four weeks prior to fishies being put in. Water readings all came back fine. And the other fish are acting quite happy.

moheesviolin said:
tank was cycled for four weeks prior to fishies being put in. Water readings all came back fine. And the other fish are acting quite happy.

Are you using strips to test the levels? Do you know when your LfS got them in? Did you quarantine them beforehand?

nope, testing the old fashioned way. Ammonia came back zero, nitrite came back zero, nitrate was 7ppm, pH was 7.2. I didn't buy them from a LFS, I bought them online from Live Aquaria (Drs Foster and Smith). They were all bought at the same time and are the only fish in the tank.

moheesviolin said:
nope, testing the old fashioned way. Ammonia came back zero, nitrite came back zero, nitrate was 7ppm, pH was 7.2. I didn't buy them from a LFS, I bought them online from Live Aquaria (Drs Foster and Smith). They were all bought at the same time and are the only fish in the tank.

What is the old fashioned way? Sorry I'm clueless! Live Aquaria....heard mixed things about them but for the most part they are reliable.

old fashioned way is the whole test tubes and chemical reagents that cause pretty colour changes and you read the chart. And I'm pretty sure it isn't the water, everything came back normal and the rest of the fish seem fine and are swimming around the tank quite happy. I have the sick one separated out into a 2 gallon tank now and he is still acting the same.

moheesviolin said:
old fashioned way is the whole test tubes and chemical reagents that cause pretty colour changes and you read the chart. And I'm pretty sure it isn't the water, everything came back normal and the rest of the fish seem fine and are swimming around the tank quite happy. I have the sick one separated out into a 2 gallon tank now and he is still acting the same.

Not sure what to tell you. Maybe it's some sort of unhealthiness from shipping practices. There are sometimes mystery deaths that we can never figure out. I don't know what could be wrong. Sorry to hear about the fish :(

Back
Top Bottom