Sick Discus!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an Adult White Butterfly that I have had for about 7 months. About 4 weeks ago he quit eating and was keeping to himself in the tank. I placed him in my 20 gallon hospital tank and treated him with 90 degree temps and PraziPro, assuming an internal parasite or worm was the calprit. For two weeks this treatment took place and I then returned him to the main tank when he seemed to be getting better.

Now two weeks since his return he is back, keeping to himself and not eating, and now looking more thin than ever. Any suggestions on a cause or cure. I do daily 30% water changes and the water parameters or as follows

ph 6.8
Tempature 86

It's an 80 gallon tank with 7 other discus, some cory cats, several tetras of various species, and some plecos - no one picks on this guy since he is the biggest discus in the tank, the only other symptom I notice is that he breathes rather heavily

I'm sorry to hear this macman. Sometimes hex can be a reoccurring problem. Perhaps the discus has a secondary gill problem. Is it just fast breathing, or are the gills distended?

I would isolate the fish again. Raise the temp to 93F, and treat with metro.

Brian,

No, mainly it is just breathing rapidly - and really just keeping to itself like it is uncomfortable. It has no interest in food and is now somewhat tilting to the side like it doesnt even have enough energy to stay upright. The gills dont appear to be disteneded.

What exact metro treatment do you recommend?

well Brian the bad news is the Discus was dead when I arrived home from work yesterday. There was a sting of white feces a mile long coming from him so whatever internal parasite he was afflicted with, it acted rapidly quick. This fish has been sick on and off since I got it some time ago so its death while very sad does not suprise me. Thanks for all your help though.

It was hex. Learn about, and get some metro powder. www.jehmco.com This drug would have saved that fish. I dose my fish with it every 6 months since I have put them in a planted tank. I dose 400-500mg for every 10 gallons at 92F every day for 3-5 days. 50% W/C before each dose. It always works.

I had ordered some metro powder, it came this morning - unfourtanently too late. I have used metro in the past and was out and none of the LFS's sell metro powder.

Back
Top Bottom