Sick dwarf neon rainbowfish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqariumclements

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have recently lost a male dnr I returned home and he had died with no signs symptoms water contortions fine etc.

Now the female has begun to gasp not eat and hides in the corners of the tank none of the other fish show any of these signs and remain perfectly healthy she has been doing this for several days now, I moved her into a floating pregnancy box as I thought it may have been the only male on the tank chasing her as they are the only two however this hasn't made her any less stressed? I've also tried leaving the lights off for long periods of time this hasn't worked either.

The only signs symptoms I can see are gasping off the mouth remaining very stationary, when put of the box hiding in the too corners of tank. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated I don't want to lose another fish

Hello, I have also acquired some new dnr fish so I am curious to see what replies you get. I'm not sure I can give you an answer but I may be able to help narrow down the possibilities by asking for some more info. What size tank do you have and what other fish do you have? How long has your tank been set up and what is your water changing schedule? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? You only have 2 you say? They are schooling fish that like to be in groups of at least 6, with twice as many females as males, so the female may be stressed as you suggested- which can give rise to a variety of different issues. Gasping at the surface is usually a sign of oxygen deprivation, so you might consider lowering your water level a couple inches so the filter stirs the surface, or adding an airstone.

Back
Top Bottom