Sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madisonbaldwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a Black Moor Goldfish that I believe has swim bladder disease. When i noticed that he was getting sick i took him out of the tank and put him into a big fishbowl with water that has aquarium salt and aquasafe in it. I put cut up peas without skin in there for it to eat and he refuses to eat. I don't want my fishie to die so someone please help me :(

Do you have a test kit that reads ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates? Goldfish are notorious for producing massive amounts of ammonia. Do you have any filtration going? What type? How big is the fish bowl? A goldfish requires about 20 gallons of water for the first fish and an additional 10 gallons for each additional fish. The reason is because goldfish do not have stomachs and they cannot digest food the same way other fish can. Their waste produces huge amounts of ammonia which must be removed because it poisons the fish.

As a start, frequent water changes to the order of 50% daily until you see improvement in your black moor. If you dont have one, invest in an API Master Kit to test your water parameters. Believe me, it's worth the cost many times over.

If you havent heard of it before, research cycling your tank. There are numerous threads on this forum about this.

And, congrats, you have found a place where people are willing and eager to help. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

+1
Some more information will definitely help here!

Size tank?
Is it cycled?
Filtation?
Water change schedule (%, frequency)?
Any other fish in this tank (type, number)?
Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)?
How long have you had him?
What do you normally feed him (type food-sinking or floating pellets, flakes, other foods, etc)?

Moors are VERY sensitive to their water conditions. Any detectable levels of ammonia and/or nitrite can create problems as well as high levels of nitrates. By keeping him in a bowl, you are going to create more problems for him. He needs atleast a 20g tank for himself. Please answer the above questions & we will be able to further advise!

The fish used to be in my room, until the tank broke. My mom then put them downstairs in a 50 gallon tank and she never cleans it. It has a great filter in it, (which she didnt change for 1 and a half months). Thats why i took out the poor fish and put him in a 10 gallon fish bowl. Its only filled half up though because he's a sinker. I dont have a test thing for the nitrate. He could just be constipated but he wont eat the peas. He ate one, then spit it out. And i usually feed him flakes. He used to bein a tank with 4 other fish.

The water was absolutly revulting! Oh, and i think my fish ate a pea? Hes sitting upright now, but hes still kind of just staying in one spot?

The fish used to be in my room, until the tank broke. My mom then put them downstairs in a 50 gallon tank and she never cleans it. It has a great filter in it, (which she didnt change for 1 and a half months). Thats why i took out the poor fish and put him in a 10 gallon fish bowl. Its only filled half up though because he's a sinker. I dont have a test thing for the nitrate. He could just be constipated but he wont eat the peas. He ate one, then spit it out. And i usually feed him flakes. He used to bein a tank with 4 other fish.

Ok- you say your mom moved 'them' to a 50gal? Moved who? How many fish & what type of fish are in the 50g? Is the water ever changed in the 50g? Does anyone ever test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

Now- you have him in a 10g fish 'bowl'? Are you sure its 10g? Is there a filter or any type of additional aeration (airstone or bubbler)? Do you have a good water conditioner? He needs oxygen, filtration, & healthy water that has been properly conditioned ASAP in order for him to have any hope of recovery. Let us know what exactly your situation is & we will try to advise!

Theres not a filter for the bowl, there were 4 fish in a small tank before she moved them, the water never got changed, no one tests the water, and hes swimming upright now! Hes still kindof slow but hes not tilted to either side.

Do you have any type of water conditioner/dechlorinator?? Do you still have the filter from the broken tank?

No we dont still have the filter from the broken tank but we have aquasafe water conditioner

Do you have an airstone or bubble wand you can stick in with him? I would start by adding temperature matched, properly conditioned to fill the tank to the top then remove 1/2 the water & refill it again to the top with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Make sure the temp of the new water exactly matches the temp of the old water (use your hand if you dont have a thermometer) & make sure you properly condition the water first.

Your then going to have to figure out how your going to take care of him. He wont survive long in a bowl with no filter or aeration thats uncycled. Maybe you can work on getting the 50g in order? We can help you if this is a possibility or we can help you to figure out what you need to properly home him.

The 50 looks clean now, should i ut him back in there since hes swimming around the bowl and not on his side now? He mustve ate a pea because he's doing better

He got sick in the 50g, correct? Has anyone changed the water in the 50g since you have taken him out? Just because its 'clean' looking, does not mean its healthy. What kind of fish & how many fish are in the 50g? I suspect putting the fish from your broken tank into this tank threw the cycle into chaos. You really need to get an API freshwater master test kit so you can test this tank & perform necessary water changes to keep it healthy or you are going to have more sick fish in the near future.

Theyve been in the 50 for almost a year now. There are 4 healthy fish in there right now.

Your moor got sick in the 50g, correct? Please google OTS as Mumma suggested. The nitrates are likely sky high & the weakest fish was the first to succumb. You need to be doing atleast a 50% pwc once a week, preferably twice a week on this tank with temperature matched, properly conditioned water.

We're changing the water right now. When do you think i can put the black moor back in there?

I would change the water every day for the next week to try & bring your nitrates down. You can try putting him back in but if he starts showing the same symptoms, you will need to do more water changes asap or remove him again to healthy water until you can get the 50g healthy. An Api fw test kit will really help you out here! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom