Sick Goldfish relapse strange behavior (video)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbimflyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello again, the same Goldfish is showing signs of swim bladder disease, but with some sporadic strange swimming behavior. I believe it may have been triggered by my filter not working for a day and 1/2 until I was able to get it cleaned up and working again. She had shown signs of swb issues in the past, but was doing fine before the filter crapped out. Once it was back up and running I noticed her strange behavior, which almost appears like it's neurological but I'm really not sure.

I made a video to try and determine what the
problem may be, so hopefully you guys can help me thanks:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/jbimflyer/1c65cea58130d5192801ff615c19cbfc.mp4

Update... still haven't figured out whats troubling this goldie, but I have just been feeding it peas, but no real improvement yet.

Your parameters are fine and you have been keeping up with your wcs, correct? The behavior and swimming pattern is very troubling, unfortunately. I don't believe there is any treatment at this juncture in time that will help because (assuming the water fine) it appears to be something neurologic. It may be the result of damage from past exposure to toxins but there are a few rare and untreatable parasite issues that can cause similar symptoms. There is no way to know without veterinary diagnostics and even then, this would not be an absolute. If you can qt her in the interim, that would be a wise move. If shes eating, give her another full course of metromeds. I am sorry I can not offer better explanation here and wish I had a more positive prognosis. :(

I had a fish, a danio, that was doing a very similar thing. I quarantined her and kept her in a tank with a little aquarium salt for about two weeks. (Defied the advice I had been given to euthanise her as she did seem to improve with time). When she's stressed she tumbles a tiny bit, but aside from listing ever so slightly when stationary, she's back to swimming straight and eating well. I would think (hope!) it is a neurological thing as opposed to a parasite. Do you feed tubifex at all?

Your parameters are fine and you have been keeping up with your wcs, correct? The behavior and swimming pattern is very troubling, unfortunately. I don't believe there is any treatment at this juncture in time that will help because (assuming the water fine) it appears to be something neurologic. It may be the result of damage from past exposure to toxins but there are a few rare and untreatable parasite issues that can cause similar symptoms. There is no way to know without veterinary diagnostics and even then, this would not be an absolute. If you can qt her in the interim, that would be a wise move. If shes eating, give her another full course of metromeds. I am sorry I can not offer better explanation here and wish I had a more positive prognosis. :(

Yeah, water is good b/c I stay on top of it. I think the issue is neurological stimming from the auto fishfeeder incident like 6mths ago, when I was away it dumped way too much food into the water, but oddly enough the other Goldie never got sick from it... Only this particular one. :(
I'll go with another round of Metromeds as you advised and see what happens b/c I've been feeding peas, but I now believe it is not a swim bladder issue b/c she swims strong but just crazy... and peas haven't changed the behavior.

I had a fish, a danio, that was doing a very similar thing. I quarantined her and kept her in a tank with a little aquarium salt for about two weeks. (Defied the advice I had been given to euthanise her as she did seem to improve with time). When she's stressed she tumbles a tiny bit, but aside from listing ever so slightly when stationary, she's back to swimming straight and eating well. I would think (hope!) it is a neurological thing as opposed to a parasite. Do you feed tubifex at all?

Oh, but I thought neurological is worse b/c it can't be cured really, whereas the parasites you can get rid of with proper treatment.

I have just recently started feeding all of the fish tubifex a couple of days a week. You do mean tubifex worms right?

Well... See the reason why I preferred the idea of neurological over parasite was because of whirling disease. That's what we thought my fish might have. Whirling disease is passed on through tubifex worms. It's 100% fatal.

Well... See the reason why I preferred the idea of neurological over parasite was because of whirling disease. That's what we thought my fish might have. Whirling disease is passed on through tubifex worms. It's 100% fatal.

Oh wow... gotcha.

Back
Top Bottom