Sick jag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One day into treatment... Odd behaviour.... Both fish crowding the intake end off the tank. Another little problem I've faced here is ph drop of .5 due to recent rain. Current ph 7. Unsure if I should up it? I feel like there's too much going on. Current temp 27.5 C. I changed out 250litres of water adding salt at the rate of 4 tablespoons per 100litres. The rubbing on the bottom has slowed. Fins r erect. And they have become very aggressive toward anyone going near the tank.

One day into treatment... Odd behaviour.... Both fish crowding the intake end off the tank. Another little problem I've faced here is ph drop of .5 due to recent rain. Current ph 7. Unsure if I should up it? I feel like there's too much going on. Current temp 27.5 C. I changed out 250litres of water adding salt at the rate of 4 tablespoons per 100litres. The rubbing on the bottom has slowed. Fins r erect. And they have become very aggressive toward anyone going near the tank.

Maybe the ph drop stressed him so much that ich could get him. Its not a big problem though... Is he eating? If you do decide to go with meds use rid ich + by kordon, the stuff is the best IMO. Always works for me in my FW tanks

Thanks for the link fishman007..... That's a must read to understand this parasite. I'm keeping a close eye on them. The aggression these two have is a little over the top. Re eating..... They never eat the same day of a water change and that one was a little larger than normal. I'll find out tonite

Thanks for the link fishman007..... That's a must read to understand this parasite. I'm keeping a close eye on them. The aggression these two have is a little over the top. Re eating..... They never eat the same day of a water change and that one was a little larger than normal. I'll find out tonite

Wait, theres 2? I thought just one... Still doesnt make a dif i just thought there was only 1 jag.

image-3950821969.jpg

Yup.... 2... Father and son. Young fella 18mths old 10 inches not showing signs of infestation but I'm treating it as tho he has. About to b rehomed in another 650 litre tank with a new girlfriend..... That will b another thread....big fella has had some health issues in the last 12 mths or so....10 yrs old. I fear he's coming close to the end... He's not the ox he once was.... 3 major health issues in the last 12 mths including this one...every 1 of them treated with nearly exactly the same treatment I'm doing now.

Yup.... 2... Father and son. Young fella 18mths old 10 inches not showing signs of infestation but I'm treating it as tho he has. About to b rehomed in another 650 litre tank with a new girlfriend..... That will b another thread....big fella has had some health issues in the last 12 mths or so....10 yrs old. I fear he's coming close to the end... He's not the ox he once was.... 3 major health issues in the last 12 mths including this one...every 1 of them treated with nearly exactly the same treatment I'm doing now.

Really hits home with me about looseing fish close to you, hope he makes it. They look good so i think they will be fine. He sure has lived a long good life in your care though, most fish dont even make it a year and are lucky if they make 2.

Thanks fishman007..... And everyone for the input. I realise I'm in good company here. The links in this thread r a must read.... Even if, like me, this parasite has never been encounted before. Truly greatful and humbled to b in ur presence.....I'll keep up with updates and photos in this thread. It will b interesting to see the temp at 30 C..... The highest end of the temp spec for jags. 1C a day.... 2.5 to go....

Thanks fishman007..... And everyone for the input. I realise I'm in good company here. The links in this thread r a must read.... Even if, like me, this parasite has never been encounted before. Truly greatful and humbled to b in ur presence.....I'll keep up with updates and photos in this thread. It will b interesting to see the temp at 30 C..... The highest end of the temp spec for jags. 1C a day.... 2.5 to go....

I doubt that this will kill 2 big guys like yours, i once had a neon who fought ich for 4 months and still didnt die. And its def some fin rot and ich from what i can see, may be lymphocytosis but that hardly ever kills any fish. (a disorder in which the body does not have enough white blood cells) just do what it says in the link and you should be fine :)

They're doin relay runs up n down the tank... Gills flared fins erect and first feed since large water change. There're hungry. The anger here is now gettin out of hand... 27.8 C current. The young fella I gotta watch my fingers with. Hence why I've kept the lower end of their temp spec. I hate to say it but the aggression towards any one comin near the tank is not normal. I'm glad they're not taking it out on each other. I have a feeling this may change tho. 30 C will b a boiling point that I'm not looking forward to. I have a medi vac tank in case of nasty behaviour

They're doin relay runs up n down the tank... Gills flared fins erect and first feed since large water change. There're hungry. The anger here is now gettin out of hand... 27.8 C current. The young fella I gotta watch my fingers with. Hence why I've kept the lower end of their temp spec. I hate to say it but the aggression towards any one comin near the tank is not normal. I'm glad they're not taking it out on each other. I have a feeling this may change tho. 30 C will b a boiling point that I'm not looking forward to. I have a medi vac tank in case of nasty behaviour

get a tank divider. Dont feed them any live. Get some garlic extract from the lfs and mix it into the jags food, this will help their immune system fight off ich. If they get too out of control than lower the temp by 1-2 degrees, hope they will be ok.

Temp just hit 29 C. Behaviour is content. I've set the tank up with a natural large driftwood barrier. I think they r actually liking this treatment??? Eating normally again... Flashing has completely stopped. The small white spots are still visible tho.

Temp just hit 29 C. Behaviour is content. I've set the tank up with a natural large driftwood barrier. I think they r actually liking this treatment??? Eating normally again... Flashing has completely stopped. The small white spots are still visible tho.

The white spots will fall off and once they do, do a wc and vaccum the sand bed really good, continue doing wc every other day.

Current temp 29.8 C. The white grains r gone. Swim fin is heavily torn. Big fella breathing a little laboured. Power head fully airated. I'm doing a minor water change 15%.... 100 litres. This will lower the temp slightly. Then I'll bring it bak up again. I'm goin for 30 C....

Current temp 29.8 C. The white grains r gone. Swim fin is heavily torn. Big fella breathing a little laboured. Power head fully airated. I'm doing a minor water change 15%.... 100 litres. This will lower the temp slightly. Then I'll bring it bak up again. I'm goin for 30 C....

Reason for tearing is stress, somthing with the water stressed him out and he got fin rot. Best way to cure it is lots of wc and keeping up water quality

Current temp 30.2 C.... Things r going swimmingly... My next wc in 3 days. I'll get a shot of the fin tear.

image-314096287.jpg

This fin tear is the worst, the rest have healed nicely. I held the temp at 30-31C for 10 days..... Ich be gone....

This fin tear is the worst, the rest have healed nicely. I held the temp at 30-31C for 10 days..... Ich be gone....

Fin rot is just because of the stress, keep vaccuming the substrate and feed him very high quality food and he will soon be happy once again, you can turn the temp down if you feel its to stressful but remember, 2° F per hour.

The temp that I ranged had some interesting effects on behaviour..... I think I've now found the perfect temp 29-30C for my fish.... I've kept the lower spec for jags way too long 26C. Yes it did have a numbing effect on their aggression..... And also their personality. Mid range 27-28C brought their brutality out. But that simmered once the temp reached 29C... A new contentment..The last time I had the temp in the mid-high specs, my 10 inch female died due to aggression... Very sad day..hence why I turned the temp down. I'm now runnin with this new"goldilocks" zone, as they r now very content. Current temp 29.5C. Sometimes my mind boggles.... Unsure how much bigger the big fella will get... I think he's topped out at 14inches. Young fella gettin a new tank soon... And a girlfriend.... At 18 mths 10 inches I think he gonna b a big boy... I gotta find him a girlfriend soon....

The temp that I ranged had some interesting effects on behaviour..... I think I've now found the perfect temp 29-30C for my fish.... I've kept the lower spec for jags way too long 26C. Yes it did have a numbing effect on their aggression..... And also their personality. Mid range 27-28C brought their brutality out. But that simmered once the temp reached 29C... A new contentment..The last time I had the temp in the mid-high specs, my 10 inch female died due to aggression... Very sad day..hence why I turned the temp down. I'm now runnin with this new"goldilocks" zone, as they r now very content. Current temp 29.5C. Sometimes my mind boggles.... Unsure how much bigger the big fella will get... I think he's topped out at 14inches. Young fella gettin a new tank soon... And a girlfriend.... At 18 mths 10 inches I think he gonna b a big boy... I gotta find him a girlfriend soon....

Really sorry about the female. And to answer your PM, im not sure. Sorry.

If your ich outbreak is all gone, I would definitely turn the temp down to around 27 C and treat for the fin rot. I don't think a more severe case of fin rot like that will get better on its own. I can't tell from the pic but if there's any kind of growth on the fins then it's definitely time to medicate, if not then u may be able to get by for now with lots of water changes

Back
Top Bottom