Sick korain angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonniewoodruff

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any idea what this spot is? Fish is eating good and seems normal, but this appeared today.

Attachments

• image-2007011123.jpg
    image-2007011123.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2982412679.jpg
    image-2982412679.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3685363622.jpg
    image-3685363622.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 65
Is that patch around its eye just flash from the camera? I've never seen a healthy angel with that. The thing under it almost just looks like a scrape, but its hard to make out on my phone. How does it get along with tankmates?

The hole in the gill plate almost looks like an exit hole from a parasitic worm. Time and making sure the fish is in good clean water should prevent that from getting infected. If it does get worse, place fish in hospital tank with strong antibiotic until it heals.
What concerns me more is that white shading around the face. That's a very similar look that Tangs get when they are suffering from a vitamin deficiency leading into lateral line disease. Healthy Korans do not have that discoloration on their faces. Check your water parameters, and up the vitamin content of your food. ( That could also be why the worm left the fish as well. )
Hope this helps.

Just found this as part of a long article on Marine Angels. I only cut and pasted the highlights ;)
Diet
A highly nutritious diet is equally important. Pristine water quality won't keep the community tank healthy if the fish are malnourished or develop dietary deficiencies. This is especially crucial for Marine Angelfish (Pomacanthidae) and Tangs which are prone to characteristic disease problems if their diet is deficient in key nutrients and vitamins. The most serious of these are head and lateral line erosion (HLLE) and vitamin A blindness (Fenner 2004). Head and lateral line erosion is associated with a deficiency of one or more of the following nutrients: Vitamin C, Vitamin D, calcium, or phosphorus. It can effectively be prevented by feeding Angelfish and Tangs foods high in vegetable fiber and rich in calcium and vitamins C and D. Similarly, blindness in Marine Angelfish can result from a deficiency of Vitamin A (Fenner 2004). It is now known that Vitamin A blindness is problematic in angels that do not receive enough green material in their diets.
Angelfish are particularly prone to such dietary deficiencies because of their specialized feeding habits in the wild. Many angelfish feed primarily on sponges and tunicates in the ocean (Marine Angelfish 2007). Angels from the genus Holocanthus and the genus Pomacanthus, in particular are habitual sponge grazers in their natural habitat, and it's imperative for their color and general health to include some sponge-containing material in their diet (Fenner et al., 2004). Co-enzymes derived from the poriferans in the diets of these Angelfish are largely responsible for their brilliant, intense coloration. Consequently, in order for angelfish to retain their vivid colors and look their best and brightest, their diet should include plenty of natural color enhancers such as carotenes and xanthophylls. Marine organisms cannot synthesize these pigments, so if they do not receive adequate amounts in their diet in a form that's easy for them to absorb, their colors will fade over time.
Likewise, in order to sustain proper growth and development, juvenile Marine Angelfish require a diet rich in highly unsaturated fatty acids (HUFA), including the DHA omega 6 and omega 3 series, which are extra long chain fatty acids that are absent in virtually all live and frozen feeds (Giwojna, 2002). Most marine organisms, angelfish included, cannot synthesize these long chain fatty acids and must obtain them through their diet. DHA, for instance, has been proven to be essential to high survivability, nerve development, stress management, and proper reproduction in fishes (Giwojna, 2002).
Finally, Marine Angelfish are omnivorous, so it's important to provide them with a varied diet that includes plenty of vegetable matter as well as proteins and lipids. For best results, experts suggest that fully half of the diet of Marine Angelfish should consist of plant material (Campbell in Fenner 2004). Moreover, the vegetable matter and proteins and lipids in their diet need to be of marine origin so that it can be readily digested and absorbed. (Laterally compressed fish such as angelfish, butterflies, and tangs are more prone to constipation, and providing a varied diet rich in vegetable material is the best way to prevent such problems.)
Providing a suitable diet that meets all of the above requirements was especially challenging for Travis' Angelfish community tank because it is an office aquarium. Nobody is there to feed the fish on the weekends or holidays, so the foods that are provided must be suitable for use in an automatic fish feeder.
The diet developed by the experts at Aquatic Environments to meet these demanding feeding requirements is based primarily on a variety of pellet foods and granulated foods, including products designed for use in commercial aquaculture as well as for the ornamental fish industry. A mixture of granulated foods from several different sources that have been derived from natural marine products and fortified with the proper vitamins and minerals serves as the staple diet for the angelfish community tank. This is complemented by daily feedings of vegetable material of marine origin (Nori, kelp-based sheet algae, and macroalgae) in quantities that amount to roughly 50% of the fishes' diet.
The following combination of granulated foods was devised to meet the strict needs and requirements of the angelfish:

• Nelson's Silver Cup Tropical Breeder Feed "Scientific Fry" No.2 (sinking -- 0.84-1.38 mm) for protein + vitamins A, D, and E.
  • Ziegler's Salmon Starter for rapid growth plus additional enrichment and variety.
  • Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Marine Pellets (small) for its high vegetable content and stabilized Vitamin C.
  • Ocean Nutrition Formula One Marine Pellets (small) for HUFA, enhanced disease resistance and additional Vitamin C.
  • Boyd's Vita Diet Marine (slow sinking pellets -- 1.5 mm) for supplemental vitamins and additional color enhancers.

Thanks for the help, I got this fish about a year ago and it already had the erosion, it has not gotten any worse but, I am told once the color is gone it does not come back. The hole in the gill plate is new. Water is testing the same as always, runs at 0 am o nitrite and under 10 nitrate. I run a protein skimmer a sump with bio balls and a Refugium.

Is that patch around its eye just flash from the camera? I've never seen a healthy angel with that. The thing under it almost just looks like a scrape, but its hard to make out on my phone. How does it get along with tankmates?

That was the flash, I am not sure if is a scrape or what. Seems to be fine with tank mates, will chase damsels away sometimes, and sometimes tries to attack its reflection on the glass.

Thanks for the help, I got this fish about a year ago and it already had the erosion, it has not gotten any worse but, I am told once the color is gone it does not come back. The hole in the gill plate is new. Water is testing the same as always, runs at 0 am o nitrite and under 10 nitrate. I run a protein skimmer a sump with bio balls and a Refugium.

There are multiple theories as to what causes this condition as well as how to treat the condition. What I can tell you is that our wholesale house had a huge outdoor sump that got natural sunlight. They would allow us to put our expensive fish ( i.e. Black Tangs, Purple Tangs, Large Angels, etc.) in their sump and they would recover from this condition usually within a year's time. I'll let you decide which reason this happened but it DID happen. ;) ( My theory is vitamin D :D)
As for the hole, I still think it's a worm hole. Any number of reasons could be why it chose now to come out. As I suggested, I'd keep my eye on it but be prepared to hospitalize.

Good luck (y)

Back
Top Bottom