sick lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pachita

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good Morning everybody!
So we had a tank with 6 lionfish (Pterois volitans), and they were doing great for a month, but then hurricane Sandy came and they started producing a lot of slime and some bubbles appeared on the part where the fins met the body, somehow they started having troubles with breathing because I got to see some of them trying to get air from the surface, and they also were not eating as usual.

I attach a picture if anyone has an idea of what this could have been? Now they are all dead but Im really curious of what this could have been :confused:
we were feeding them with wild silversides.
pH was 8,17
ammonia was between 0,25 and 0.50mg/L
Oxigen 6,5mg/L
The tank was provided with water from the ocean. With the hurricane it got a little but sandy and the temperature dropped like 5 degrees, it was on 22°C after the hurricane.
Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• CEI 582 121.jpg
    CEI 582 121.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 108
  • CEI 582 102.jpg
    CEI 582 102.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 84
There are a lot of factors hear.. 6lion fish in a tank how big? Was your power out for any.length of time .025 amon tells me your tank was not cycled how long has tank been up... Did u add water from the ocean after the hurricane it could have been polluted...

bskerrichard27 said:
There are a lot of factors hear.. 6lion fish in a tank how big? Was your power out for any.length of time .025 amon tells me your tank was not cycled how long has tank been up... Did u add water from the ocean after the hurricane it could have been polluted...

+1, these are all great questions that need answering...

the tank has 1250L , the power never went out because we have a generator that was working the whole time. And I measure the amon after the first fish was death, sorry its the first time I handled an aquarium, so the water was probably polluted by that dead fish.
Yes the system kept feeding the tank with water from the ocean constantly.

have you seen those bubbles before?
Could have been a parasite, I read a descrption of infection by Brooklynella hostilis and the symptoms were kinda similar
thanks!

How long did you have them and how long had the tank been set up? We're all put in at the same time? Was there ammonia present before the first death?

You mention that ocean water was being put into the tank during, or after the storm? Could it have been polluted?

Back
Top Bottom