sick molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellylake01

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 2 yo male molly who had bloat, i have looked up info on it but i want a 2nt opinion. he has been sick for a couple of days it was really sudden that this happened my tank is 0 ammonia, 20 nitrite, 0 nitrate have been doing water changes every other day and the tank is just getting established, started 3-4 weeks ago this is the first and only sick fish in the tank.

Well I would suggest doing another 50% water change straight away to get your nitrite levels down. In an hour or so do another one to get them to 0.

Are his scales sticking out from his body?

yes they are sticking out and im right in the middle of a water change ill test again here shortly after the water mixes, should i treat with melafix or another meds. most tings i have read say he is S.O.L.

Well everything I have heard and read says that once their scales are sticking out they are too far gone to save. :(

It's called dropsy. You can try fasting him/her for a few days and then give her a blanched, de-shelled pea in case it's just bloating from constipation. It doesn't sound good but you can at least try.

It def sounds like dropsy. The scales sticking out (pineconing) is a classic symptom. It can be the result of a bacterial, parasitic, or viral infection internally. The bloating is the result of the kidneys not being able to process fluids correctly & fluids accumulate internally. You can try treating with an antibiotic such as Maracyn 2 or kanamycin & cross your fingers. Unfortunately, the prognosis for dropsy is not a positive one.

ok retested the tank and im at 0 ammonia, 2-3 nitrite, 0 nitrate
the color on nitrite was less then 5 but not 0 either

Start doing water changes ASAP. Your nitrite levels are dangerously high. Make sure you dose water conditioner for the size of your tank & match the temp of your new water to that of your tank water. It may take several 50% water changes to get your nitrite levels down to an acceptable level of less than .25ppm. Do not be afraid of water changes!

ok im working on more water changes, and i am hopeful about the molly he "seems" to be doing better * knocks on wood* swelling has gone down and he is eating

Im glad he is improving! Getting your nitrite levels down & keeping them down is necessary to keep your fish healthy. Stay on top of the water changes & testing & keep up the good work!! :)

active but still hiding form other fish, he is also rubbing up agenst the decor, i know normally thats because of poor water quality is there any other reason he could be doing this.

swelling is still going down *crossing fingers*

I have the suspect the high nitrites have to do with his flashing (rubbing) but keep a close eye on him. It may take a bit for him to recover. Unfortunately, poor water quality & stress can create an environment for disease due to a fish's immune system being comprised. So, they become more suspectible to health issues. So, watch & wait for now & let us know if there are more issues that arise. I am glad he is more active & the swelling is going down! Good job on the water changes!!! Stay on top of testing & pwcs & keep us updated! :)

well tank is clear and happy and my male molly has no swelling and is going back to humping my plants, i think he is feeling much better, lol

so am i, i honestly though he was a goner after pine-coning on me, THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP !!!!

Back
Top Bottom