Sick Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are certainly not an idiot! :) You are very dedicated to the well-being of your fish.

Your water changes look like they are getting things back on track. It's great that the molly is doing better.

Joann has a great idea - squeeze the old cartridge onto the new to save some bacteria when you change it out. Old carbon no longer functions as it should when new, but it can become a reservoir for good bacteria. That's probably what happened in your case. It doesn't absorb ammonia either (like J. said, there's some specific ammonia-removing media for that, which a cycled tank doesn't need). The carbon cartridge with no other media for bacteria to reside is a reason I'm not fond of Eclipse filters. The bio-wheel holds bacteria, but I think a sponge-type media is better. I tried to use floss and a sponge in place of the carbon cartridge but the sponge blocked the bio-wheel flow and the floss got pulled into the bio-wheel. If you're handy, you could rig up some media in the carbon cartridge tray area. Maybe try a little pantyhose toe with bio-stars. Or just continue to use the carbon cartridge as you have been doing but try to save some of the bacteria from the old to new.

Thanks again, I will squeeze the old filter in the future.

Also, thanks again for the feedback, I did a recent test after the second 75% water change and the colour of the test dropped about two shades, so I think I got it to 0.50ppm.

I will do another WC tonight, let them relax a bit after the one I did 2-3 hours ago. Don't want the pregnant Guppy to abort or have complications, she's starting to hover near the surface.

After the third 75% water change, I got the Ammonia down to 0.25ppm.

The Molly is doing fine still, definately looking like his normal self again. But noticed my Guppy has her tail nipped up a bit, one of the baby Mollies seems to be picking on her at times. Might have to QT her when I get this water down to 0 Ammonia so I can transfer water to the QT.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom