sick platy ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowkatt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
first things first i have never had fish yes gold fish but never anything else or a complete fish tank with filter pump heater the whole works i am probably clueless and possibly over reacting that out of the way i recently purchased a 12 gallon fish tank prepped it with aqua safe and safe start rinsed the gravel let the water heat to 25 C ( thats 80 F ) and left it sit for a full day before introducing the fish namely a red betta 3 sword tails 6 guppies ( 2 male and 4 female ) and two wag tail platy's ( gold ) one of the platy's is the reason i signed up and why i am some what worried he seems to be only interested in hovering just below the water surface for so far i can see he doesnt seem to be gasping for breath the moment i take the cap off he darts around and when he stops floating around he seems to be livley enough and is interested in food ( prefers to eat alone though ) am i freaking out for nothing ? and is this perfectly normal behavior for a platy or am i better of isolating him ? and will he survive going from a tank with regulated warm water and a pump to one thats not ?

60* is really cold, I know bettas need at least 78*, the other fish I am not so sure.
What are your water parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)

correction its 80 F im a Celcisus user i have no idea what the water values are as i said this is the first real aquarium the play is the only one who behaves like this all the other fish seem to be content with themselfs so maybe its just how he is which is what i want to know is he showing symptoms of illness or just likes to hover just below the waterline ?

Back
Top Bottom