Sick Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martinwoodward1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The last couple days I lost one big red velvet platy and not it looks like my female creamsicle platy is sick too. She struggles to maintain a perpendicular stature at the very top of the tank. It is a 30 gallon tank. I do weekly water changes of 20-25%. Temp maintains steady at 75 degrees. There are a total of 13 fish in the tank all platies with 3 guppies varying in size from 1-2". The filter is a quietflow 30 it moves about 200 GPH. I have 2 of these fish and they were acclimated over about an hours time 2 weeks ago. No new items in the tank. I feed them flakes, pellets, tubifex worms, freeze dried bloodworms and occasional frozen shrimp.

I hate using chemicals in my tank but I might have to, in order to prevent further fish from dying. I was thinking of adding salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons over the next week to help. Please any advice will be helpful. I love these platy fish and particularly the creamsicles they have such pretty color combos.

Two thoughts would be if you have ph, kh and gh? May do better in harder water but depends on readings. Other would be that are the water changes temp matched? I have found platy's to be touchy on that.

Back
Top Bottom