Sick Rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well it all started two days ago when i was testing my tank after seeing the fish being near the top all the time, i tested it and it was good ammonia was a tad high (.50 and below) nitrites were 0. so i just did a water change for good measure. then yesterday my 1 bosemani rainbow was found dead. and the other bosemani still near the top and my two turqoise rainbows not looking to well either. so i did another water change just to see if that will help and make my filter output make more of a splash. so today the one bosemani was real bad so he was taken out but still alive. he has black spots on his sides and is barely alive. but still the two turqoises arent looking to well, sometimes near the top and moslty fins down.

any ideas on whats wrong? its a 55 gallon tank. almost cycled, ammonia cycle almost dont. fish in my profile.

thanks

im not a pro but if your tank isnt cycled it could cause and Ammonia spike and burn your fish and without frequant everyday water changes you can burn your fish and kill them.
i have no idea tho, just what i have read.
And people like you to fill out this so they can better help you

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Are you sure the cycle is almost done? If the cycle is almost done, then you should be detecting nitrites and not ammonia, and nitrates should be starting to creep up. Have you tested for nitrates?

I did a recheck and ammonia was between .25 and 0, nitrite was 0, nitrate was around 15 which i dont think is too bad but im going to get some hornwort and some anacharis to suck up some of those nitrates. so im not sure whats going on. the two turqoise are still up near the top.

Any suggestions

Oh, if you add those plants, it won't suck up the nitrates right away. It will take care of the ammonia first, then work on the nitrate. Ammonia is the preferred state of nitrogen for plants, and work on nitrite and nitrate if no more is available. It's not 100% documented as far as I know, but that's what most people say. :)

So either way, by adding those plants, you will greatly help the tank. :)

ya i added a bunch of anacharis and hornwort so that should help but my turqoise rainbows are still somewhat near the top. but ill wait it out see how well they do.

Back
Top Bottom