Sick Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfspyder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, my Male German Ram isn't feeling to well...

Planted Tank parameters:
20 Gallon long
Set up since the end of Oct.
Filter: Penguin 125 Biowheel
Nirate: ~20ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
GH: ~75 ppm
KH: ~80 ppm
pH: ~7

Haven't added anything new to the tank and his tank mates are listed in my signature. I do water changes once every 1-2 weeks.

It started out as a little bump near his mouth, I thought it was an injury from the lip locking fights my Rams get into at times :/ Now though, he isn't eating and runs from the females(normally he is the one that chases). And the bump is now a fungusy/cottony growth and there is another spot. Not sure if this would be Ich? since it is only on three places near his mouth.

I have to go to work until 9pm tonight, but now I am worried for my fish:(

It sounds like cotton-mouth/mouth fungus, which is caused by columnaris bacteria. Since the bacteria is opportunistic, it could have infected a lesion your fish got from fighting. Pima-fix worked really well for me when my fish had a cottony growth, the bottle says it treats mouth fungus, it's all natural and it's really gentle on your fish, plants and bacteria (it even smells kinda nice). There are a bunch of different medications you can use, or you may want to try giving your fish salt dips. Do you have a hospital tank?

Unfortunately I was to late :( I went on my lunch break and bought a hospital tank, supplies and some meds, but by the time I got home he was dead. Thanks for the advice though, I will remember for the future.

My Rams were spawning regularly too:( never got the eggs to hatch, but I think it was my water hardness and I was working on that... bleh.

Back
Top Bottom