Sick swordtail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teebabii8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed his fin looked nipped when I opened the bag from the pet store. Since I added him to the tank he mostly stays at the bottom in the corner. When I feed them he doesn't seem to swim fast enough to get as much food as the others. What should I do?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110412_215015.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110412_215015.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 56
  • ForumRunner_20110412_215137.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110412_215137.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 50
dkpate said:
Did you acclimate him? Your tank is fully cycled? How long have you had him?

Yes. Yes. And my parameters are all good. I am using the strips though so I was thinking maybe I should get the liquid test because on here they say the strips aren't reliable/accurate. I had him Since Friday. He's been that way since Friday. I really think someone returned him to the store before they sold him to me.

P.s I changed the filter last night and when I woke up this morning my common pleco was dead. I'm freaking out.

Yeah, you need a liquid test kit.
Did you change the media in the filter, or the whole filter? If you didn't save anything from the old filter, you threw away all of your good bacteria and therefore you might be going through a mini cycle, which means more ammonia and nitrite spikes.

dkpate said:
Yeah, you need a liquid test kit.
Did you change the media in the filter, or the whole filter? If you didn't save anything from the old filter, you threw away all of your good bacteria and therefore you might be going through a mini cycle, which means more ammonia and nitrite spikes.

Media. But I ran it under water so could that have washed out all the good bacteria? Also I topped off the water. Could I have messed with the oxygenation?

mfergusonjr said:
If you ran the media under tap water the chlorine killed the good bacteria. I clean mine in some of the water I pull out during a pwc.

Ooh ok. Geez even the simplest mistakes can cause big problems. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom