Sick tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mooney0086

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi peps,
I have a few fish with ich.
Theres currently in a 100g mixed reef.
I have a separate 10g thats empty I plan on using as a hospital tank.
When I remove some water from my DT
When doing a PWC can this water go into the hospital tank along with 10% new water?
Also can I take some of my ceramic media out of my external filter and put it in the internal filter on my new hospital tank?

Would this make the hospital tank a cycled one or will I have to cycle it first before putting any fish in?

Thanks for your help.

Ich is a little more difficult than taking the fish out. I've never had to treat a salt water tank for it, but it's in the tank, not the fish. Once you see the white cysts on your fish, they are at the end of they're life cycle and arn't treatable. The cysts fall off reproduce then reattach. To be effective you must treat at the right time, as they fall off. If you have coral or anemone, I don't really know what to treat it with to be honest. I turn up the heat, to reduce the time they attach to the fish, and treat with high grade 100% tea tree oil, 1 drop for every 10-15 gallons for a few days, with no carbon. I'd do some more reasearch first tho, cuz while that has always worked for me....for 5 years, I've never heard of anyone else treating with tea tree.

I was thinking of removing the powderblue and the hippo as their the only ones affected by it.
I tried a reef safe treatment and it killed my only two hard corals.
I have a uv and ozone running in my DT so hopefully that will kill the ich while the two fish have time to recover.

I was just wondering if using DT water and some of the filter media from the DT filter into an internal filter
And putting it in a new tank could the fish go straight in?

That should be fine as London as you have a heater and some water flow...but don't be surprised if from here on out you find your fish still get ich from time to time. I still get a small case everytime I add new fish almost, in my fresh anyway. It can stay dormant in a tank for awhile without attaching to a host.

Back
Top Bottom