Sick tank. Puzzled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camescu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I'm running a peaceful community tank and all has been well until recently.

The other day a platy had a weird growth around its anus and it was acting sedate. 2 days later all is fine. Then yesterday a dwarf rainbow is sitting near the surface gasping for air. Al other fish and shrimp are fine.

So I come down this morning to a cloudy tank and all fish and shrimp gasping at the surface. I checked parameters and all is fine on that score.

Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 3
Ph 7.5

done a big water change so hoping that helps. Water changes are weekly.

I don't know what else it could be. Tank has been running for 3 months now and was heavily seeded. Never had any issues with water quality.

I do think I am maybe a rainbow down, couldn't find it so perhaps it's body is causing problems.

I have no idea what is causing the problem in the first place though. Any advise would be welcomed.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397555039.148451.jpg
Cleaned the filter. Removed the dead (that I can find) and rescued a few.

Gonna have to go to work so not expecting any alive when I get home.

Household cleaner ? Forgetting to rinse hands before putting in tank ? Someone used water bucket for chemical cleaner ? ( my ex kept stealing my WC buckets and not understanding why I couldn't just rinse them ? )

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was something that happened overnight with the results kicking off in the morning.

I've ran what happened by someone in the know and he seems to think that the milky cloudiness was a bacterial bloom and the fish were fighting the bloom for oxygen.

With plants at night taking in oxygen (or so I'm led to believe) there must have been an oxygen deficiency spiking early morning. (Tank is heavily planted)

As a result I have purchased an air stone that I can run overnight. Hopefully this should minimise future bloom effects.

Got home from work and amazingly 7 of the 8 neon tetras, both platys and al the Corys survived.

I also took a sample of the water to my LFS and he said the quality was brilliant and was reluctant to sell any medicine products for it.

Back
Top Bottom