Silver arowana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Landonreed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I discovered arowanas a couple of months ago and I've done my research as best as I can. Well two weeks ago I finally was able to get one that I ordered at my local fish store. I just was wondering if it looked healthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

how big is your tank? the arowana is still a juvie. is that a hang of the back filter (HOB)? i would recommend getting a canister filter if that's the case.

how big is your tank? the arowana is still a juvie. is that a hang of the back filter (HOB)? i would recommend getting a canister filter if that's the case.

Right now it's a 29 gallon tank I do have a future MUCH larger home for him when I move to my new home. Yes it is a hang filter and thank you for the suggestion. I just wanted any tips for the little guy. He's really an amazing fish and I want him around for a long time.

Mine took straight to floating cichlid pellets, I don't know what you have been feeding him but I read that they can sometimes be stubborn when it comes to prepared foods. He looks healthy and very silver, any odd behavior to report? Also I like the Brown knife as well, as I also have one of those myself. Any other fish in there with him?

That's awesome! I've always wanted a silver arowana, but I've never ha the chance to have a 200 gallon tank

Mine took straight to floating cichlid pellets, I don't know what you have been feeding him but I read that they can sometimes be stubborn when it comes to prepared foods. He looks healthy and very silver, any odd behavior to report? Also I like the Brown knife as well, as I also have one of those myself. Any other fish in there with him?

Couple of brown knifes that get along great some how, a senegali bichir, spotted eel, and common Pleco.

The aro loves the cichlid pellets I have to break them in have though, but he will destroy at least three freeze dried krill a night when I break them apart for him.

That's awesome! I've always wanted a silver arowana, but I've never ha the chance to have a 200 gallon tank
They are definitely worth the investment. Most graceful fish I've ever seen. After a couple of weeks my is already able to be handfed.

They are definitely worth the investment. Most graceful fish I've ever seen. After a couple of weeks my is already able to be handfed.

yes it's very graceful. that's why Asians call it the dragon fish. Chinese dragon is a majestic symbol that brings good fortune, not your typical greedy flaming breathing dragon in the Western culture. I would have a lid over the tank as they are heck of a jumper when startled.

yes it's very graceful. that's why Asians call it the dragon fish. Chinese dragon is a majestic symbol that brings good fortune, not your typical greedy flaming breathing dragon in the Western culture. I would have a lid over the tank as they are heck of a jumper when startled.

I definitely have a lid over it with some books on top of that as I have seen the jumping abilities when feeding it. Looks very much like an arapaima when it jumps.

How many pellets a day?

I know the tank is overcrowded but I have plans to get a 180g+ tank and convert this 125g to salt, just taking my time at the moment as funds are a bit tight.

I know the tank is overcrowded but I have plans to get a 180g+ tank and convert this 125g to salt, just taking my time at the moment as funds are a bit tight.

So how many freeze dried krill roughly?

I am systematically rehoming all of the non SA/CA fish as I want to go for more of a Biotope tank (I know that's still a lot of big fish but I plan to build the new tank so I will be able to customize to footprint to make the most out of the tank). The only thing that won't be rehomed is the turtle as it was my father's. OP how big are the krill and how big is the arow?

Back
Top Bottom