simple saltwater setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fuse_all

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Visiting a local tropical fish store after doing some research, and asking questions i was told of a simple setup. He told me that all i really needed was good LS, LR, good lighting, and a surface skimmer. Honestly i was a little in disbelief but was shown his tanks that were instore, and he didn't have much equipment attached. He was showing me his (i'm guessing) 100 gal tank with 4-5 large pieces of LR, a powerhead with a propeller, a surface skimmer, and a small filter HOB style(excluding fish sand ect.). More equipment may have been being used but i didn't see it, or was in too much of a hurry to notice, but i'm speaking of what he TOLD me. In short if a small saltwater tank 20gal was planned on being used for a reef tank with minimal equip would i be able to keep a good ecosystem?

Smaller tanks require more time but less money. Theres no simple setup but there is a basic setup. With no fish and a few coral minimul amount of flow would work for awile but feeding fish help feed coral and CUC and pods.Low flow means a collection of unwanted nutreints and with fish no skimmer could mean higher ammonia levels. Its about a balance. Get a startup book and ask more questions for best chance.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Marine-Aq...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205050392&sr=1-1

Welcome to AA!

Yes, you can set up a successful system with the proper amount of LR, LS, a HOB filter, a skimmer and good lighting. Just keep in mind that with a smaller system, you have less room for error and bad things can happen fast.

It can be that simple, but first read the articles here and ask lots of questions. Resear4ch up front saves $$$$$s.

Read the New Tank Setup and How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish threads too.

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom