six line wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandarin man

Aquarium Advice Regular
are six line wrasses COMPLETELY reef safe? I hear mixed things bout them, although I am still interested in purchasing one but dont want it to pick at any of my corals. Anyone had any experience with em?

I have one and have not experienced any problems at all with it (knocking on wood). I've never seen it picking at any of the corals as I have most other fish including my yellow tang, and coral beauty. I think it is a great reef fish.

and going by your screen name if you have a mandarin ... a six line is likely to kill it or out compete it for food in the system.

The sixline wouldn't directly attack the mandarin but like Reef Keeper says it will out compete the mandarin for food and then the mandarin will starve to death.

I've never heard anything about sixlines nipping corals, I have never seen mine do it to any corals. I use to have a clam and it never bothered it, but still possible I guess.

If you get one it should be the last fish you put in the tank since they can become aggressive towards newly introduced fish and kill them or scare them into hiding.

Other then that they are very active and easy to keep. Very cool swimming through small holes and all over the place.

I agree about the nipping. Sixlines have always been good for me but I have never had one with clams. These are supposed to be reef safe though.

As for the mandarin, I have read stories on RC about them fighting. They do share the same food source and would be in direct competition. A large system would be needed even if they were separated.

For such a nice looking fish, they can have moments of evil! Mine used to love knocking the snails off the glass, and pushing around the blue legs. He nipped up a couple of them, until he got transferred to a friend's tank. Now he behaves! Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom