Sixty gallon tank - Stocking and advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liumchen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, everyone. I finally got my sixty gallon set up a few weeks ago, and am absolutely loving it!

Currently in the tank: 6 Chinese Algae Eaters, 6 Bettas (1 male, 5 female), 1 Red-Tailed Shark, 2 Zebra Danios, 3 Bloodfin Tetras. I may be moving the danios and tetras to a smaller tank, in order to make a little more room and a slightly more consistent 'semi-aggressive' theme. If the current gets much stronger, I may have to relocate the male Betta, as well.

I know I'd be interested in adding a few more female Bettas in time, maybe one more Chinese Algae Eater, as well as Upside-Down Catfish. Considering that they spend most of their time at the top of the tank, I think it will be fine to add a little school of them, provided I wouldn't be overstocking. There are some other bottom feeders that interest me, but I am unsure of what I could get, if anything, because I already have the CAEs down there.

Cave Tetras and Denison Barbs have also caught my eye, as well as a few other species that I'm just not thinking of. I don't think the Cave Tetras would quite fit in, though. If you can think of any fish that would fit in with this crowd, I'd love to hear about it!

I will be working on adding more plants, caves, and other decorations in the coming weeks, as well as increasing filtration and current. Considering the adult sizes and temperaments of these fish, particularly the Red Tail and CAEs, do I have room for more?

All suggestions, advice, comments etc are welcome, and I will happily answer any questions. Thank you!

I never comment on stocking levels, cuz myself over stock my tanks pretty well all the time, and never had problems with maintaining water quality.

Anyways, I just wanted to note that CAE not only feed the bottom, but they are all around. mine hangs on the glass and rocks all the time.

I would get cory doras as bottom feeders, but I'm not sure how compatible they are with your shark. They are pretty helpful at cleaning left over foods at the bottom of the tank.

Just watch out for the CAE's. They eat body slime off of slow or sleeping fish, plus they get 10-12". They can be very nasty.

Cave Tetras are Fin nippers.

RTS ? I try to give them a a good cave at one end so the other fish aren't overly bullied.

Nice size tank. I just have a low opinion of CAE. I used to manage a pet store.

Yes, CAE do eat slime off other fishes. They did on my angels.

Gotta say 6 of them is a lot.

I'll get some photos soon! And another cave for the RTS :)
Yes, I know the CAEs have a bad reputation. I believe the number of them to actually be helpful, as they will be more likely to mind their own business and pester each other rather than all the other fish. I will keep an eye on them, though, and add meaty foods as they grow to keep their appetites satisfied. I am absolutely in love with the little guys and find them to be some of the most interesting fish I have encountered. I'll stay away from slow and/or flat bodied fish. The Bettas seem fine with them for now. So far, so good!
They do like to cling to the glass and the rocks, but still seem to stick close to the bottom most of the time.
Thank you for the replies!!

I drop sinking pellets for my CAE, but the cory doras serves first.

Back
Top Bottom