size difference in stocking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pretty soon I'm re stocking my 55 all my african cichlids are 3-4" the only problem is the ones that size from my lfs are $35 the smaller ones are less than half that price. 1.5-2" $8-15 is that size difference gonna be a big deal or should I just start over I'd really hate to start over unless I can find someone willing to buy mine for a good price I would trade them in but they will only give me 1/3 of what they can sell them for.

sorry about the double post i was just contacted by someone sellung a bunch of mbunas heres the info

so i am finally able to fix my stock in my 55 all my fish are 3.5-4.5"
1 each
m albino zebra
m rusty
f? cobalt blue zebra hybrid
m ebj
f hap johnstoni (trying to re home)
m swallowtail (will consider rehoming)
m crimson tide (will consider rehoming)

i also have a single 3" male yellow lab in my 20 which will be going into the 55 soon

i just met someone who is selling these fish and needs them sold in a hurry
all are 1.5-3"
10m/10f kenyi
4m/5f fuelloborni

he also bought a johanni that was holding
he ended up with 10 total and 1 dom male they are 1.5-3" currently

any ideas will help a lot:thanks:guys and gals in advance.

No the peacocks are $30.00-50.00 for males 3.5"+

Mbunas range 15.00 for assorted and 20.00-35.00 for breed specific 3.5"+

All there small-med cichlids range from 8-20 bucks.

I feel like that's wayyyy to much. I bought a rusty cichlid today for 5.99.

I have tiny ones in my tank that do fine with some adults. I have probably a half inch red zebra with a 5 inch mbuna hybrid. I m have lost some small ones but others have been fine

I have tiny ones in my tank that do fine with some adults. I have probably a half inch red zebra with a 5 inch mbuna hybrid. I m have lost some small ones but others have been fine

So you think my current stock will do ok with what that guy has for sale and how many of which ones should I add I'd like to stick with all males if possible

What do you think communitycichlid? First I should ask how many can I have in a 55. And would I be better off doing all males if possible?
My current stock is up top but I did move 2 to the quarantine tank.
In the 55 I currently have

1 male rusty
1 blue zebra hybrid possibly female
1m crimson tide(don't want to but will re-homeif I have to)
1 m swallowtail peacock (will re-home)
1 f hap johnstoni (will re-home)
2 clown loaches will be selling when they get to big for this tank one is 3" the other is 4")
1 regular pleco(will re-home)

In my qt tank I have
1 male albino redtop zebra (on a diet)
1male electric blue johanni ( will be going back into the 55 when I have it stocked enough to curb the aggression)

In my 20 I have a single male yellow lab will be moving him to the 55 since I just planted the 20 and don't want him to eat my plants.

The list of what the guy has for sale for 2 bucks each is at the top of this thread 2nd post there all 2-3 inches except the johannis wich are 1.5-3 inches. :thanks:

Well it sounds like you got the biggest problem down getting rid of those large fish. Alright for keeping fish I think that you will be fine keeping your current stock and I would say around 15 fish would put you at fully stocked assuming you have the correct filtration. You could do all males that would help keep aggression down but also might suppress some coloration.

Also what he is selling is pretty good for the price but I wouldn't fill the rest of my stock with Kenyis and OB's. I like a variety but if that's what you want go for it. Craigslist alot of times will have good cichlids fairly cheap

I have the jbj reaction 4stage canister for tanks up to 100gal and also will be putting a biowheel 150 hob on it and also a waterbottle with biostars and polyfill in it with an airstone to pull the water through or I could put the biowheel back on the 20 and take the fillstar xpm and add it to the 50 I will also be doing weekly 50% water changes. With that could I bump the numbers to 20 total and I do like variety also.

What about this if I take all my mbunas I listed except the female blue zebra and keep them in the 55
Then add 3 kenyis and 6 fuelleborni 3 ob and 3 regular all male then add 2 johannis male

That would give me in total
3 ebj
3 kenyi
3ob fuelloborni
3 regular fuelloborni
1albino red top zebra
And 1 rusty
That gives me 14
Oh yeah I forgot about the gold lab I'm adding from my 20
So that makes 15 in total.

Any changes you would reccomend

Back