Size of first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's everyones recommendation for the size of a first saltwater tank? I'm interested in nanos, but I know the smaller the tank, the faster problems can occur.

I got the JBJ 28 gallon nano cube and LOVE it! The lighting is metal halide so i have no limitations to corals (moonlights included). It came with a a filter (sponge, carbon, ect) and with a small skimmer that sat in the back. It also comes with two power heads that can be controlled to alternate (wavemaker).

I replaced the skimmer with a hang on the back one that worked better and i managed to just squeeze it in.

It does tend to overheat with the metal halides even though there is built in fans. This is not much of a problem because the temperature stays at a a reasonable level if i leave the lid open a crack.

Also my heater fits nicely in the back.

I think the smallest for a beginner should be about 20G. If you don't mind a little more maintenance, you can skip the protein skimmer and be dedicated to PWCs regularly. Depending on if you wanted a FO, FOWLR or reef tank, you would have many choices in filtration, lighting, etc.

I started with a 35, I wish I would have started with a 55. It is easier to maintain water quality, plus you aren't as limited on what you can do.

When I first started I figured, a 29G Biocube would be easy since its an "ALL-In-One" package. And yeah, it was fairly easy and simple. So I took an empty 38G I had in the garage and turned that into a SW reef. Well I can't say that the 29G was any easier than my 38G. 38G was easier in some aspects because I could put a hang on overflow on it, and I have a 10G sump. Long story short, I like my 29G Biocube (that's still up and running) but if I had to do it again, I'd have just found a nice sized tank and stand on Craigslist and skipped over the biocube. Best of luck, its a fun, but very addictive hobby.

Maybe start with a 29 gallon oceaninc bio-cube (Thats what I am). It is kinda of a all in one package, but just missing a few pieces of equipment.

The protein skimmer that is made by the same company for that tank, dont get it, I have only heard bad reports about it. Go for the Tunze 9002 skimmer, but if you go that decide to go that route, the cup is a weird size and you would want this as well with it: Upgraded Tunze Cup

Bigger is always better. I agree to not even try to go less than 20 gallons.

I personally can't stand any of the all-in-one tanks. There is no room to customize or change things as you and your tank grow.

Back
Top Bottom