Sk3lly's Tank Progression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy spring time to you! This thread certainly got lively fast :D I'm loving the red in your plants and the dwarf grass too. Can't wait till my cherries berry.

Yea sorry i think thats my over excited ness lol. I really really like my rams. Favourite fish already and ive only had them 2 and a half days

That is a nice flat rock I spy there?? Ram eggs on it??

Well yes my rams dug a hole and i thought they were trying to hide. So i pulled a piece of slate from my banking and slanted it over the hole to form a cave. Few hours later there were eggs on it. I was pretty surprised :) so i pulled the slate piece away from the hole and laid it flat. Its in their favourite hang out area too. I will keep this slate here now and look to grow my glosso around it

Well yes my rams dug a hole and i thought they were trying to hide. So i pulled a piece of slate from my banking and slanted it over the hole to form a cave. Few hours later there were eggs on it. I was pretty surprised :) so i pulled the slate piece away from the hole and laid it flat. Its in their favourite hang out area too. I will keep this slate here now and look to grow my glosso around it
smooth flat rock?? That's the ram jam baby!!! They will drop eggs on that like it's their job!!

Haven't had much recent experience with FW in a while, but I just wanted to say your tank looks great! So cool to see your rams breeding! Lol you don't get to see any eggs with corals. Also, couldn't believe it at first when I saw your stock lost with 10+ fish! (In reefs 10 gallons might keep ONE fish.)

Haven't had much recent experience with FW in a while, but I just wanted to say your tank looks great! So cool to see your rams breeding! Lol you don't get to see any eggs with corals. Also, couldn't believe it at first when I saw your stock lost with 10+ fish! (In reefs 10 gallons might keep ONE fish.)

Thats what put me off a reef was that you couldnt keep many fish. My second tank will be a reef though

Looks like its bad news on the GBR egg front. A lot of them are turning opaque white. The fish are discarding these eggs as they should but their batch is dwindling. There is no sign of activity within the eggs either. I read online that hard water with a high gh and kh will prevent the male sperm from penetrating the eggs leaving them infertile. This seems to be true as infertile eggs will harbour the fungus turning them opaque white.
So my plan from here is to order a 4 stage reverse osmosis unit to start producing my own RODI water. Any thoughts on this??
I will gradually introduce the new water into the aquarium so that it doesn't shock the fish and inverts. Hopefully this will lower the gh and kh and possibly even my ph. I will then try to get these figures within the rams correct ranges and hopefully next time i'll have more luck....

To be continued lol

Well I always say anything worth doing..is worth doing right!! Sounds like you really want some baby ramsters?!

Well I always say anything worth doing..is worth doing right!! Sounds like you really want some baby ramsters?!

Well the breeding will be a bonus. Im more worried about the health of my fish. Last time i did a gh and kh it was so high. My tap water is in a notorious hard water region here in england. I used to buy RODI water from my lfs at £4 for 25litres. Thats just under $7. I soon got tired of doing that though. If i buy a RODI unit for £85 wont take long before its paid for itself. I was changing maybe 40litres a week on my tank. So it was costing me about £6 a week in water. In about 15weeks its paid for itself. Thats how i look at it. Same way you might look at an electric power saw in your carpentry Brookster. Doesnt take long for it to pay for itself over a conventional hand saw

I would do the same thing if I were in your shoes! Yes indeed! I can always justify buying new power tools! Just think of all the time I'll save with that $200 skillsaw! Way more time for tanks!! Think of clear my water will be if I upgrade all my filters to aquaclears?!? Man my life is expensive! It's no wonder I work 60-70 hrs a week;)

LOL Brookster you are so right! Expensive. As a working Shmuck all my life, I found that straight time paid the bills and overtime paid for the toys. I worked LOTS of OT.
OS.

LOL Brookster you are so right! Expensive. As a working Shmuck all my life, I found that straight time paid the bills and overtime paid for the toys. I worked LOTS of OT. OS.
haha you got it man!! 40hours for all the boring responsible stuff and the rest is alll forr meeeee! And my fish Ofcourse..

Hello guys after a bit of advice. I got my dry ferts about 2 weeks ago. I am trying to find a balance in my pps pro method. I use a 3rd dosing bottle for the nitrates.

First week i dosed as prescribed including the nitrates.

I do a full set of tests before my weekly water change on a sunday to assess my water and make sure its ok. That first sunday after my week of dosing my nitrates were very high. About 50-60ppm. I have german rams so want this lower. I also recorded very high phosphates like 10ppm

So second week i cut out the nitrate dosing for 2 of the 3 days and trimmed my macro dose to 15ml from 20ml for all 3 days. I left micro dosing at the same level. 20ml as per companies instructions.

Ive been getting some signs of nutrient deficiencies and algae issues
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396024058.552434.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396024087.114768.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396024097.882241.jpg

Now i think its green dust algae but would be nice to be certain??

I ran a phosphate test and nitrate test these were my results

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396024146.120201.jpg
Lowish nitrates but roughly where i want to be. Phosphates i think should be nearer 3ppm with that amount of nitrate?? (Correct if wrong please) my phosphates seem to be at 10ppm though.
As for the deficiency it looks to be potassium as leaves have holes in. How do i fix that if i need to lower my macro mix in order to bring phosphates down to solve algae issue???

This has already become a waffle but i still got more lol

My fear here is that perhaps my lighting is not good enough and therefore my plants are not using the nutrients fast enough leading to algae. Thoughts???

I have managed to carpet DHG pretty successfully though and grow fissedens moss which i also think is higher light.

Can anybody shed some light please?? Thanks in advance and thanks for reading

Forgive me for this off topic, couldn't help but notice your fluval heater fully submerged, how long had it been like that? Only cause I have the same one and it has min and max level lines???

Forgive me for this off topic, couldn't help but notice your fluval heater fully submerged, how long had it been like that? Only cause I have the same one and it has min and max level lines???

Off topic is fine when its helpful. Well i used to have the temp control bit out of water but maybe a week ago i dropped it right down so that i can do a water change without moving it or turning it off. Its still working. In fact i just dove in there now to find a max level marker and the heater was on. No max level marker on mine though

Interesting.. Thanks!! That does look like gda, I have it going on right now too, I've he'd off in dosing phosphates until my test kit arrives, today actually:) I've heard that a phosphate level of 3ppm+ should nip it in the bud..

Back
Top Bottom