Skimmer efficiency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

I have a ViaAqua multi-skimmer (not the delux model) and it doesn't really capture much gunk. It used to, but not anymore. I suspect this is by and large caused by it being set up incorrectly. For instance most of the time it just filled with water and I really didn't care as I was too busy, but now I want to try and get it running efficiently.

My question is regarding the bubbles that come up into the collection cup. How far up the hole in the middle of the cup should the bubbles be bursting (if at all)? Presently they burst marginally below the point of overflow, but I can reduce the flow and bring that down a good inch, however I am not sure what the correct position is.

Also, I am having trouble identifying the best position for the venturi to be at. If I put it all the way down then generally the cup fills with water, but if I extend it all the way up this is where I get the above mentioned bubble level.

I'm rapidly coming to the belief that the right combination of settings is a bit of an art and perhaps not answerable in general terms.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

That skimmer looks like a knock off of a RedSea Prizm. I wouldn't except too much from it. Make sure the nipple where the airline connects isn't blocked. The water line/bubble line should be slightly below the part in the neck where it tapers down.

Well it's received quite nice reviews online and it certainly wasn't cheap - $200. I'll adjust it so that the bubble line as you recommend. The airline is clear as I get lots and lots of tiny bubbles.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom