Skimmer in Sump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Rubbermaid trash can as my sump. It is 15 inches square and about 30 inches tall. If I put a skimmer in the sump low enough to submerge the skimmer's pump, then when the power goes out or I turn the sump pump off, the whole skimmer will be submerged as the water level rises in the sump. If I raise the level of the whole skimmer inside the sump so that the top will be above the high water mark, then the skimmer's pump will not be in the water at its normal running level. What do I do???

Haha, you just have to submerge it so that the pump is under the water at normal running conditions, if the power does go out and fill the sump, your skimmer getting covered isn't exactly the biggest problem that you have!!!

If you have a good skimmer it shouldn't even release much from the collection cup back into the water. Good question though.

Just for curiosity sake, why don't you get a shorter sump??? I use a 20 gallon fish tank that I got at a thrift store for 4.99, and it works great, haha...???

I've thought about getting a shorter sump, but it would require a lot of work to redo the system, so I'm trying to work with what I have for now. I've got the sump calibrated so that it won't overflow during a power outage, but I have it so that it does fill right to the top in order to maximize my water volume. I'm not worried about covering the sump so much as releasing back into the water what the skimmer has already worked to remove. Any other suggestions??

put the skimmer on stilts or a stand so it is farther out of the water and leave the pump submerged. Then boost the pump up as much as possible so it can deal with higher height

indy said:
Mount your skimmer to a big styrafoam raft so it will rise and fall with water levels!

Then just hang the motor below it and let it float around in your display tank!!

Good thinking Indy!

Back
Top Bottom