skimmer on timer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Anyone set their skimmer on a timer? Like, run 12 hours per day, mostly when not around so don't have to hear it!

Tank has easy corals (mushroom, polyps), lots of live rock, excellent filtration, etc.

Thanks.

Could be done as RR suggest but I would urge caution with skimmers that may contain media or "bio" material of any kind. They will sit for the 12 hr off period without O2 and accumulate ammonia quite easily. The ammoina will then be introduced into the tank at the next on cycle.

If a regular "bare" skimmer I agree with RR, it should work fine.

Cheers
Steve

thanks...no filter media or bio...just bare skimmer (Seaclone 100)

I have the Seaclone 100 and I have been running it on a timer since I installed it several months ago. I turn it on at Midnight and off at about 5pm. This way when we are relaxing in the same room at night we won't hear the bubbling noise. The PH is a maxi-jet and I have not had any problems stopping and starting it. In fact, even if it wasn't on a timer I would probably be stopping it at least once a day for feedings.

This routine has been working well for me and can recommend it if noise is an issue.

I really appreciate the feedback. I think I will let it run 24/7 for a few weeks, then probably go to a schedule like yours.

I don't have anything to compare it with since this is my first skimmer. However, I'm very sensitive to any noise coming from the tank since the setup is in our TV room.

It's about as noisy as I'd expect anything to be that is generating massive amounts of bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom