skimmer problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
My coralife skimmer seems to stop making bubbles every now and then. I know it has something to do with the air going into the skimmer but how do i fix that. Anyone have this problem.

Thanx

Hi there. Have you checked the air tubethat starts at the pump to make sure that you don't have any salt creep in the tubing.

you mean the clear plastic tube. How would i clean that tube out.

Make sure you take the pump out with the air hose.
Take the air hose off.
If it's clog you would see a little spot that is all white on the air tube.
Just get anything that fits in the air tube and it should clear up.
At the same time make sure that were the air tube is connected is clear as well.
You can use a toothpick or a paper clip anything like that.

What i do is just cut the piece that goes to the pump and sometimes I just replace all the air tubing with new tubing.

Coralife 65

Bought a used 65, where is the correct height adjustment for the bubble head in the cup? I thought the guy who sold it to me said it was at the bottom of the cup but that does not produce any bubble overflow. At apprx 2" inches above that seems to be working better. Does this matter? Also the height is fluxuating +/- 1 inch up and down, is this normal?

It did not come with instructions and trying to google it I could not find anything, anyone know where I might look?

Get a cup of ro/di water and microwave it for 30 seconds so that its pretty hot and stick the venturi into the cup. That will help to remove the salt creep. I do this one or two times a month just as a preventative maintenance.

Get a cup of ro/di water and microwave it for 30 seconds so that its pretty hot and stick the venturi into the cup. That will help to remove the salt creep. I do this one or two times a month just as a preventative maintenance.

Thanks that worked, although I put the venturi, hose and intake cyclinder in boiling water for about 3 min. Fixed the surging and the bubble cutoff issues.

Good someone already suggested that :) I have the same skimmer as well and every once in a while it gets clogged up. Once every few months I take it out and completely clean everything - I also soak most of it in vinegar which helps break down any 'clogs' and is safe to use - even though you rinse everything out afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom