Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
My skimmer is acting up i have valve open all the way and its holding almost no water in actual skimmer but its foaming out of control and it keeps overflowing any ideas what could be wrong?

If its a hob skimmer you can try raising it up by putting a piece of 3/4" pvc under it.

You don't use a water conditioner/dechlorinator, do you? Most of them will overactivate a skimmer (Prime does not, so if you use that, you're OK).

my skimmer is outside of my tank not hob but just on side it worked fine then one day i turned off all flow while cleaning filter socks and put alkalinty and calcium in sump and sat like that for a couple hrs then after i turned on its messed up any ideas how to fix?

trying to spread coaraline algae and put it to go to main tank through pumps, what if i put pump and little sprayer in vinger and tryed cleaning them out?

Coralline algae will grow fine with good parameters. You don't need to add calcium or anything to the tank.
Why are you cleaning the pumps? Are they dirty? This is not going to help with skimmate production.

trying to clean it out to get it working normal again its creating way to many bubbles that its overflowing even with exit valve fully open

idk what to do other then to buy a bew akimmer any ideas on which skimmer? i have 110 MT with 30 gallon sump but might switch out sump too

Put the skimmer in the sump, not hanging on the DT, and stop microbubbles with a bubble trap. Get something rated for 200 gallons or more. Check out Bubble Magus skimmers. They are pretty efficient for the price.

skimmer is hooked up externally next to sump right now i dont have hang on back its a ETSS Evolution 750 might run it through vinegar to clean it out and put new bioballs in it its a downdraft

thats what its doing its creating to many micro bubbles

Attachments

• image-1379727610.jpg
    image-1379727610.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 90
It's supposed to do that. The more bubbles the better. the bubbles are what carry the organics to the top and into the cup.

its to many micro bubbles, this is what my sump and DT look like because there coming out of the skimmer this never happened before or did when i did water changes but it would go back to normal the next day

if u look at the bottom u can see fuge full of micro bubbles you cant tell in dt on the photo but its the same

Attachments

• image-3452533321.jpg
    image-3452533321.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 89
alk is 143.2ppm and calcium is 900 ppm what else can be a factor to y its acting up or is it one of those?

Forget calcium and alk. Focus on nutrients. What are you adding to the tank to make the skimmer go crazy? You said it does this after water changes and then it subsides. I have never had a skimmer do this after a water change. How exactly are you doing water changes? How do you mix the water? What salt? RODI? What is the TDS of the water after the RODI?

Forget calcium and alk. Focus on nutrients. What are you adding to the tank to make the skimmer go crazy? You said it does this after water changes and then it subsides. I have never had a skimmer do this after a water change. How exactly are you doing water changes? How do you mix the water? What salt? RODI? What is the TDS of the water after the RODI?

i mix my salt and rodi in a bucket usally for a day check salinty take out water from aquarium and put in new water? thats how you do it right? mix with pump, salt is oceanic natural sea salt, yes with rodi, and TDS not sure dont have meter.

i also traded my ETSs Evolution 750 for a reef octopus nwb 110 which was used but its still not skimming been set up in sump since saturday night? any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom