Skimmers!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 18 gallon nano

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391129529834.jpg
    1391129529834.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 1391129551467.jpg
    1391129551467.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 53
  • 1391129552332.jpg
    1391129552332.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 48
Skimmer vs sponge

Ok, I know I have been asking this question alot. I have gotten advise overload. :facepalm: I'm going to order a eshops nano skimmer(only one I could find to fit in my tank).
Question is-- I was told to throw out the big black sponge in the over flow area from 3 fish stores, and get a protein skimmer. I was talking to my co worker and she is a newbe like me. Her son is taking care of her tank and he is leaving the sponge in, she said something is growing on it and it was a good thing.
So is it better to have the protein skimmer or the sponge.
I have a 18 gallon tank,
with
2 clown fish
1 dottyback
1 skunk shrimp
1 turbo snail
1 other snail
3 small hermit crabs.
1zoa colony
1 mushroom
I'm thinking with the bio load a skimmer would be a good Idea
Last night I checked my phosphates and with the api test kit and it was at .5 ppm. Is this to high?

I have a hydor slim skim nano, took about a month to break in fully, runs like a charm and takes out a lot of nasty proteins

The api phosphate test is pretty inaccurate, but a .5 reading can cause algae issues if it is correct.
In terms of a skimmer on a 18 gallon tank, you can get away without one. Due to small tanks being so small, it is easy to export the nutrients with water changes rather than running nano skimmers, which can sometimes just be ineffective due to the size as well.
In terms of having a heavy bioload though, you are correct. I would also be wary of those 3 fish having enough room to swim around...especially the firefish. This could make the skimmer effective on your system, but long term I wouldn't expect a firefish to do well in such a small space along with 2 other fish that I would want to house in a 30g and up.

Back
Top Bottom