Skittish cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mandi_1523

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have had my 120g tank running for around 5 months and all of a sudden our fish are skittish when ever there is movement around the tank. We do water changes every 2-3 week. The levels in the tank are perfect. There hasn't been any changes other then movement of decorations and plants with every water change. Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing them to act like this?

Attachments

• image-1877210541.jpg
    image-1877210541.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 180
Two things 1 is it a high traffic area 2 to much change it not got for things to move that often

Actually if its cichlids it's recommended that you move your decorations to avoid aggression. :) I do it myslef.

Sounds like they are stressed, but from what. What type of cichlids are they? How many? If they are stressed from aggression like Carey said a tank rearranging is a temporary solution but it's not fixing the underlying problem.

My fish have also been skittish for the last few days, but I have a mating pair of zebras messing up the tank harmony. could be something as simple as that.

It's not in a high traffic area but we do have a mating pair of kenyi's in the tank. She was holding but that's over with now. And the fish still seem skittish. What if we added a barb or something? I heard they cichlids will use them to determine if the environment is safe?

They are various breeds of Africans. Some kenyi's, yellow labs, demasoni, ice blue, peacocks and a few other breeds. There are around 20-23 in the tank plus our pleco.

By your stock list it sounds like aggression to me. Have you water their behavior recently for increased chasing, nipping or others hiding behind equipment/rocks?

There hasn't been any increased activity (nipping,chasing). They all seem to get along relatively well other then the odd invasion of territory tussles.

my male jack dempsey as my poor two females all over our tank i kind of feel bad for them and they are all skittish you walk by the tank an BOOM gone in less then a second

Back
Top Bottom